Honda Twins banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, here's another question: is there a preferred way to slip the cylinder over the new pistons and rings? Is it better to move one piston way up, slip the cylinder over that piston, then move the cylinder down and onto the second, or should I keep both pistons at roughly the same level? Part of the problem is that I'm doing this by myself for the first time. Should I get another set of hands, or a ring compressor?

·
Sensei
27,180 Posts
Either way works, but it's nice to have a spare set of hands to support the cylinders......Some bikes (175, and 200 for examples) are 360 degree twins and both pistons rise and fall together....Your 360 is a 180 degree crank......

·
Registered
66 Posts
for the 360, I like to stuff some shop rags between the pistons and crankcase, and keep them level, the barrels should slide over and you can shimmy the pistons into the bores by rocking them back and forth. I think for the 360 it's easiest to do them at the same level, otherwise you're trying to hold 3 things at once

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input guys: I got it installed today by carefully lining up the cylinder and gently rocking the pistons into the bores; just needed to be careful and patient--no broken rings! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts