Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm finally getting around to putting my CB350 engine together with the help of this forum. But I'm now stuck on getting new cylinder o-rings installed. I originally was using an aftermarket kit and was having trouble with slack being created when pushing the o-ring into the groove. I read here: http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/48-engine-discussion/15433-cylinder-o-rings.html where the aftermarket rings are too fat. So I ordered some OEM o-rings and although the thinner o-rings are a little better, I am still having the issue. After getting almost getting them pushed down, I have a slight kink forming. Is there some trick to getting these in?

Auto part Metal

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Maybe tuck in at 12, 6 o clock.
Then 3 and 9 o clock.
Then work each section in?

Measure the oring against the one you pulled out.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Same thing happened with me. I used a 90 degree bent pick and used the "elbow" of the pick to just depress the "o-ring" into the groove, working it all around several times until it decided to seat fully. I used the pattern that doode suggested above. It will get there.

·
Registered
926 Posts
I haven't had issue with using the gasket kit o-rings but make sure to clean the groove really well with a dental pick you may be surprised how much crud is stuck in there.

Then I use a good o-ring lube.

·
Registered
866 Posts
get some popsicle sticks. Push down gently top bottom left right then slowly push down evenly around. Do not go in a circle from start to finish or you will be stretching it out so when you come full circle it wont fit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the tips! I manged to get it by not being greedy and just pushing it a fraction at a time evenly around over and over again until it started to really settle in the groove taking care not to let it pop back up near the area I was working on.

-Formerly known as user 6365.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Good to hear!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts