Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I just noticed that there seems to be a leak coming from the top end of the cylinder head gasket. How difficult is it to replace that gasket? Where can I get the replacement part? first photo is upside down for some reason.

IMG_0754.jpg IMG_5663.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Don't over tighten the two cam cover bolts. Many have broken them by doing that. The rubber 'grommets' keep tension on the cover and compress the cam cover gasket/seal. Honda purposely put smaller (10 mm) heads on those bolts as a caution.

Reactions: L7NirvanaLove

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. Just wanted to make sure I didn't have to go to the mechanic if it was a simple enough job to do on my own.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Simple enough job. Remove seat, tank. Cover barely slips out the right side with wiggling. Make sure new gasket/seal is seated in the groove of the cover all around before tightening cover bolts. (gasket/seal gets snagged on rockers easily)

Reactions: L7NirvanaLove

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looked in the factory service manual but couldn't find the torque specs for the cover bolts. Does anyone know the correct torque specs?

·
Registered
785 Posts
Yeah, as said, if your ffffighting to get the cover off or on, your doing it wrong. I always glue the seals to the cam cover, and check that all is good by lifting the cover that is in place; slightly; to check all is still good, then insert the rubber cones, bolt and washer. It easy but do not shear off the "special bolt" threaded end. Its just nipped really, butted up against the rocker carriers.

Attend to that/those rusty exhaust studs/nuts, think about some domed nuts.........

1 - 9 of 9 Posts