Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to drop the jug back on, and I feel like I am missing the point about where a certain o-ring goes. I'm pretty sure one goes on the top of the cylinder(see pic), but I feel like there was one between the case and the bottom of the cylinder. One pic shows the case with an oil passage, which is where I think one goes. Can someone clarify the placement of the o-rings please?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Welcome aboard first off... :D

Hopefully our resident 175 guru Steve (66Sprint) will be along shortly to give you the info you need..

GB :mrgreen:

Attachments

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'm not Steve.......

But I don't recall that there are any o-rings used on the base gasket, just two of them on the head gasket area.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
Please excuse me Bill.

???

I was just pointing out that, though I'm not Steve, i had some knowledge of it.
Of course, Steve will probably say I'm wrong....... :oops: :oops: :cry:

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
No, Bill is correct..... O-rings go between head and cylinder in/with the head gasket....Two knock pins (guide tubes) in base, four between head and cylinder, all six are the same part number....(The previous applies to the "sloper" versions )...I believe it is the same for the "verts", but I'll double check....

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Bird76Mojo said:
Please excuse me Bill.

???

I was just pointing out that, though I'm not Steve, i had some knowledge of it.
Of course, Steve will probably say I'm wrong....... :oops: :oops: :cry:

I just didn't remember you (Bill) having a lot of experience with that model. My bad. When I heard "175" I immediately thought "Steve!!!" No offense bud..

Attachments

·
Banned
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Alright guys, thanks for all the info! One more thing, should I be using and gasket maker(honda/yamabond) on this job? I would not use any on the head gasket, I know that, but what about on the bottom of the jug to the case gasket? Is that nessesary or will it do more harm than good?
Larry

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
71duece said:
Alright guys, thanks for all the info! One more thing, should I be using and gasket maker(honda/yamabond) on this job? I would not use any on the head gasket, I know that, but what about on the bottom of the jug to the case gasket? Is that nessesary or will it do more harm than good?
Larry
You'll start a firestorm with that question - everyone has their own opinion/system for that, so you'll have to decide for yourself.
If you choose to use it, be really careful around any oil passages.........

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have done a few 175's. This weekend my 175 race motor will be going back together.

The o rings go between the head and the cylinder. It looks like you have it right.

I see the green gasket on your cover. Why is it the green ones never fit? I have a few of the green and had to re work them every time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts