Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s like what you experience riding the new Batman ride at Great America. You wait in the seemingly endless line, snaking your way to the front to be the next one strapped in. Fearful of what comes next, but before you completely embarrass yourself and scream like a girl - the ride is OVER. Honing the piston bores on your Honda Twin is very similar or at least it was for me, except for the screaming part.

Most of the effort is in the preparation. The actual honing operation takes only a few minutes. The trepidation prior to performance is understandable, since what’s the downside of a poor hone job? Rings that don’t wear in and a motor that smokes. And you get to do the job over.

So, in order to get the best job possible, I thought I should build a fixture to hold the cylinder barrels securely in my 4 1/2” vise. A secondly benefit of using the fixture is I could really clean down in between the cooling fins. I used Scotch green pad, cut in strips for that.

Honing fixture parts list: 7”x 8 1/2” - 3/4” plywood, 7”x 5 1/2” - 3/4” plywood, 4 - 3/8” carriage or hex bolts 6 1/4” or more long, 4 - 3/8” nuts, and a piece of 3” i.d. PVC pipe 1 1/4” long to protect the protruding cylinder wall.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Bumper Automotive exterior

Now the fun part: I covered everything that I didn’t want to oil. I followed the instructions in the video. And I fearlessly honed away. And it was over before it seemingly started - like the ride.

Credit for providing the ball hone and how to video goes to Common Motor Collective of
Houston TX.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah, I've pretty much just held the cylinders in my hand in the parts washer and run the hone while the wash fluid runs into the cylinder I'm honing

1 - 5 of 5 Posts