Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 450 has been cutting off when i come to a stop. Carbs are very clean and i did my best to balance them via the tutorial on this site. Compression is ok. One more question though is that when i did balance them, the gas screws didn't affect the rpms when i turned them in or out so they are still at 3/4 out i believe. I wanted to check my valve clearance but the covers don't look like they've been off for a long time and i was worried i'd destroy the gasket or something if i took them off. Could i get some words of wisdom. I still ride the bike around town i just hit the e start when i come to a stop and hold the throttle a little open

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Did you remove all three jets? (two are stacked).........
What was your compression PSI?........

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I didn't remove the slow jet but i removed the one on top of it and shot carb cleaner through the slow. Compression was right at 165 for both cylinders

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
165 is re-ring time on a 450 (actually 163 is min spec)... Normal compression is 180+....
A fresh re-ring can read 210+...........You might try setting your idle up about 1500 to compensate for the low compression....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I read 160 was min and 180 was the top. i knew 165 was low but i figured it still had some life left in it before rebuild time. So new rings then?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Your jets could still be dirty
your timing could be a little off
your battery could be low
you still running points ? Check'em..clean and adjust. Get new ones, get new condensors.
Hows your air filter ?

Check your valves ! Buy new gaskets or buy some gasket material at Auto Zone and make your own.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Rick is correct... You need to check other possibilities before any tear-down, although it will be necessary soon enough.....Maybe you can get the summer's riding before it's a must do now.....
Something is still plugged up if adjusting the mixture screw has no effect....

·
Registered
45 Posts
does anyone have a link on how to clean the points? i have a feeling that's going to be my next project but don't want to start tearing into anything without having some background knowledge.

i did a quick search but between "cleaning" and "points" i think i returned every post on this board!

thanks!

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
unionkane said:
does anyone have a link on how to clean the points? i have a feeling that's going to be my next project but don't want to start tearing into anything without having some background knowledge.

i did a quick search but between "cleaning" and "points" i think i returned every post on this board!

thanks!
Take a small (1 x 1) piece of 220 grit wet/dry sandpaper and fold it in half. Open the point with your finger and put the sandpaper between the two contact surfaces and close the point. Move the sand paper around/back and forth. Repeat using a different part of the sand paper until the point surfaces are clean and smooth. A flash light is handy.

Spray the point with contact cleaner when done.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts