Honda Twins banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I recently got a custom tuffside flat seat for my CB350 build and I had some question about fitment.
IMG_0371.jpg

First off, do I need to order a frame hoop to fit this seat, if so where should I mount it?
Also, how much fabrication needs to be done?
And, how can I fill the gaps between the edges of the seat and the frame? IMG_0369.jpg IMG_0371.jpg IMG_0377.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
You should also add rear suspension to the list of questions.
Really though, it's your bike. What did you think you would do with the seat?

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
You have to butcher the frame to mount a seat like that. I'd send it back and get one that fits without modifying the frame.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses. I'm not concerned with keeping this bike stock so I don't mind modifying the frame/suspension etc. and that's the seat I want so I'm not going to return it.
I've seen similar seats on these bikes so I just want to know the best way to fit it.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think you would have to cut off the rear frame section aft of where the frame goes from tubular to flat. Then find a hoop that fits and plug weld it in. I'm not sure if you would be able to keep the shock mounts where they are, since it is hard to tell where the tubular section of the frame ends. Once you cut off the rear frame hoop, you shouldn't have much of a gap between the front of the seat and the frame. If you cut off the stock hoop, then you would need the new hoop to maintain structural integrity.

Reactions: thomsln

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Well, then you'll just have to get creative or employ the help of someone who has done some fabricating work. I can see that you'll have a suspension travel situation, as doode mentioned, based on the flat aspect of the seat design. I'm assuming it came with mounting hardware, so that will come into play as well - as in, how are the brackets designed and how will you mount them to the frame? I had to extend my mounting hardware a bit to accommodate the suspension travel and rear fender height, but I'm guessing you don't plan to run a rear fender at all. You'll still have to account for decent wheel travel and that's a part of why there is an elevated rear seat support from the factory. I used shorter shocks on mine to lower the rear but it's still close, despite what I did for clearance. Fabrication is all custom work, so chose your outside help wisely. BTW, that was a pricey seat from what I saw at their website... mine was only $50. Good luck

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
You'll need to remove the vertical frame support at the end of the frame for the seat to sit down. However, this is there to add strength to the frame so it would be good if you could replace it with a horizontal hoop to join to the two frame ends. To make it look good it should probably follow the lines/curve of the seat, could look very nice. As others said though you may have some clearance issues with the tire hitting the seat under some hard bumps. You'll have to figure out a way to get the seat mounted to the frame as well. Another option would be to make a vertical frame support similar to the stock one that is there now but make it fit the underside of the seat so it acts as a brace as well as a mount for the seat.

Nice looking seat, look forward to seeing it mounted.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everyone! This has been a ton of help. At this point, I'm going to start looking at new suspension to deal with the clearance. I'm hoping to meet with a shop that does a lot of fabrication this week and go over my options with them. The seat did not come with mounting hardware so I have some freedom when it comes to that but there are 6 mounting points on the bottom of the seat that I have to account for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Local place where I live in Santa Barbara. There are a few that I've been to in the area and one stands out as a legit machine/fabrication shop.

·
Premium Member
7,863 Posts
that oversized rear tire won't help the clearance issue either...ditch it and put the proper size on...the 4.00 is too large for your stock rim anyhow.

benjis cafe racer and DCC sell horizontal rear seat loops you can weld on to replace the OEM vertical loop.

what your attempting is a common mod for these bikes but you need to do some welding and think about your clearance issues. go with a stock rear tire and weld on the loop with some appropriate mounting tabs for the seat and it's a fairly simple mod. it's also easy for screw up your bike and make it unsafe if you try to half a$$ it

Hagon makes a good set of rear shocks that are a just a tad longer than stock (around 13 inches) any longer than that and you'll ruin the handling and make it dangerous and twitchy handling.

put the

1 - 15 of 15 Posts