Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there's a lot of really high quality cafe style seats out there (looking at you, Hotwingglass! Your taillight is tops on my list) but I'm wishing to fabricate my own for my ongoing Sloper cafe project. I saw mention some time ago here about buying a salad bowl or something to create the bump- already somewhat in the right shape- but can't find the link, if there was one. I've already got a wooden deck shaped and have begun to visualize /pattern the leather seat cover, but have to finish the 'shell' first. I won't be modifying my frame in any way so I'm looking for ideas to make it a strictly bolt on design using the existing rear mounts. Any and all advice is welcomed. I'm also looking for any help in selecting the foam cushion and your experiences with it- good and bad. Thanks, Rich

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I don't know if you saw it, but in one of Lefty's posts for his track bike he showed a seat/tail section that used the back of a CB360 gas tank cut off and added to the seat section... actually looked pretty good, and I'm in no way a café fan

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't know if I saw Leftys but I've seen that kind of thing done. I often like the look but don't have a tank I'm willing to cut up, and once it's cut...
I seems to recall a mention of the use of a stainless steel mixing bowl or something from the kitchen that is cheap and easily shaped. I'd prefer aluminum, and I' m not sure where I'm headed with it other than a bobbed stock rear fender- I have two and one is badly damaged in it's rear half- and some sort of bump above that. This must all be bolt on with no frame mods.

Bloodbath and Beyond (in The Simpsons world) has some cheap SS bowls-less than $20 but their website pics don't show the bottom and whether it's flattened or rounded. I guess I'll have to go to the store to find out. I 've seen lots of plastic stuff that might work for mock ups but at some point it'll have to be metal.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
I use foam (different types: florist, polystyrene sheets, etc) to create the shape and then fiberglass over it to create the seat. I've done this three times now for seats, once for a belly pan and once for a fairing and it works quite well. Easy to get the exact shape you want and also make it fit with the frame as well so you don't need to modify anything. Here are some pics on how I did it for my fairing: https://ridingthroughthefog.wordpress.com/2017/11/28/cb350-project-custom-fairing/

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
GAMD5 has a early cb450 period racer restoration where the seat is partly plywood, it's very cool. I used a sailboat sail stitch awl from harbor freight and tarp snaps for the cover. As long as a good effort is put into it, anything home built will always beat shelf bought imo.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I fabricated my own with fiberglass. Check this out:

But they say fiberglass is prone to crack and not plastic shell. Check this one as well:

Just make sure it is propertionnal to your bike. Racer TV calls it the devine propertion formula:

·
Registered
353 Posts
Hello, I made a cafe seat a few months ago for a Cm450 project. I cut up the factory seat pan, used foam to create the hump, and cast a fiberglass shell with leather cover. Actually just have the leather cover separate and it Velcros on and off to access electronics. You can see more details in my project link in signature. The way I did it would require cutting the back end of the frame. Had to reweld a hoop on and relocate electronics under the seat. Lots of work but very rewarding. I probably spent about $60 on supplies.

IMG_2379.JPG IMG_2382.JPG IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2554.JPG IMG_2635.jpg IMG_2557.JPG

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Have to say that the posts on this, was very interesting and imformative. I have to decide, when the time comes, as to how I will go with doing a seat on my mock-up of the build I am working on (as I can).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts