Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, real quick, Im currently on a nearly 4 month road trip crossing the country on a CB360. I went from NYC to Northern Cali down the coast and Im on my way back currently in Louisiana. Its been a great long ride and Im looking to get back to NYC before the snow starts to fall. I'll have some sort of ride report in the works after I make it back.

I replaced my clutch a few days ago and that went well but I recently noticed my kickstart level is buzzing in neutral and in 1st gear with the clutch lever released. The same sound you'd hear if you rotated the lever while the engine is running. I dont know when this occured, I didnt notice it until a day or so after I swapped out the clutch. I think it may have started after some kickstarting when my starter motor wouldnt turn over. I've ridden a couple hundred miles on it like this and the bike will still kickstart but I need to know if Im on course for any real damage. I pulled the side cover yesterday to take a look and all looks well with the return spring so I know the issue is inside the case and that I'd need to pull the engine and split the case to get at it. The thing is Im on the road and dont have easy access to a garage where Im at right now. I'll be in Nashville in a few days where I may be able to get setup but Im not sure.

Anyone with knowledge of the kickstart mechanics know what I may be dealing with and any advice on if I can/should be riding with it in this state?

Also I dont have time to blog but I've been photo documenting the ride on IG if anyone wants to follow @myklsc

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1975 CL360
117 Posts
Is the kick starter arm fully retracted to its normal position? Could the kickstart lever be mounted at the incorrect position on the shaft? It is possible the circlip (part 45) on the end of the kickstart spindle has come loose.
My motor was making the same noise due to the kickstarter ratchet gear (part 19) skipping across the teeth of the mating gear. I had to disassemble the lower crankcase/transmission and bend the metal arm ratchet guide (part #23) to pull the engagement gear a little further and stop the noise. This repair required removal of the engine from the frame.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts