Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah it happened somehow trying to put the spark plug back in carefully after my ignition rebuild. I kind of tightened the spark plug in, backed it out carefully, and cleaned up the aluminum shavings around the hole. I can get the spark plug tight and the bike runs but is popping in the right cylinder. Do you think that the crossed threaded spark plug would be causing that? What do you think I should do about this?

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Was it popping before the threads got cross threaded? It is possible there is a leak around the thread. How far down in the hold were the threads damaged? It may need a Helicoil. Another less invasive option is to use a thread chaser. It just depends on the extent of the damage. Usually installing a helicoil requires removing the head.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
It should be a gasketed spark plug, so if it is tight there should not be any problem because of the threads.
TOOLS
Back in the day I fixed a buggered spark plug hole in a friend's car by chasing the threads. I thought everything was fine until she called me a couple of weeks later and reported the engine blew the plug out. It took an insert to fix it and the shop pulled the head.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If there is a leak it would be pulling air in and pushing air out while cranking the engine with the killswitch off. Perhaps a drop or ten of clean oil will get sucked in or produce a few bubbles?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts