Honda Twins banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! New to the forum here, I have a question regarding the crossover tubes on my 73 CL175. One of the tubes is completely missing and the other was there but split open. I cut it off and fabricated two new steel ones slightly larger than stock. I was able to grind both sides down in order to weld the new tubes on but I am seeing there were brass fittings placed in the location of the old tubes. After grinding the locations down to just bare steel/brass I had a friend attempt to weld the new ones on, unfortunately he states he cant weld on brass.

Does anyone know what the original manufacturer used to place these tubes into the tank? Were the tubes brazed in or were there brass fittings placed into tank then threaded tubes inserted? Seeing there was what appeared to be weld material at the base of the tubes, I imagine they were brazed?! The other option I have is to seal the existing or original holes and simply drill out new drain holes near the original and weld to bare steel. Any thought on this? Thanks!

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I would bet that they were repaired before. I doubt Honda brazed them but maybe the did. I would braze new fittings in.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts