Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I just rebuilt my 71 CB450. I went to time the points and noticed the crankshaft won't spin clockwise at all. It moves counterclockwise perfectly but when I move it in the opposite direction the crankshaft doesn't budge. I took the top end back apart and didn't notice anything unusual. The crankshaft still won't spin in that same direction with the top end removed. It spun both ways before I took it apart so I am under the impression it is supposed to be able to move in both directions. Any ideas as to what I should be looking for?

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Possibly your starter clutch. You're trying to turn the engine backwards which causes the starter clutch to attempt to turn the starter which has a huge mechanical advantage. With a big enough wrench you can probably turn it backward but why not just turn it forward and hold it on the desired mark?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's exactly what it was. I took the starter motor chain off and it spins freely in both directions. I do turn the engine in the correct direction to get to the mark but it's easier to slightly back it up if I overshoot the mark than to turn the engine another 360 degrees. Thanks for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts