Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. Working on a 1978 Honda CB400A and need a crankshaft. I have a 1980 CB400T lower unit. Will the 400T crankshaft work in the 400A motor.

Thanks.

Bill

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
AFAIK, yes Bill. Should fit.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been thinking about the 400t crank to the 400a lower unit. Since the brgs are coded to the lower unit and crank anyone have any thoughts on matching the crank and rod brgs to this change.

I have three sets of brg but to install each set and plasti-guage them seems like a lot of work. Any thoughts or suggestions. Could you still go by the code on the crank for the T and the
code on the A model lower unit?

Thanks.

Bill.

Maybe this bike is headed for the parts bin its getting to costly to repair. I dont intend to keep it and it might be worth more as parts.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
This says it will work just fine. Not sure if all of your bearings are going to. They're sized by the letters on the case and crank for mains and numbers for the rods and crank.
[h=3]Assemblies where 13300-413-782 is used[/h]

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jim. Bike isnt mine and I was asked to see what it needs to be repaired. He is on vacation and I dont want to tell him the bad news till he gets back. He say he wants to get rid of it instead of spending a lot of money on it. He forced the timeing chain adjuster down and the chain wore the coating off the slipper then ground into the metal and filled the oil with plastic and metal bits. I dont know whats going on with the crankshaft sprocket but every time I set the cam chain timeing on the mark I get a different reading on the flywheel. The motor will have to be tore down just to clean it up and repair the adjuster.I think there might be a problem with the crankshaft sprocket. I was thinking of buying it if I can repair it and make a few bucks.

All the elec bits a good and the carbs so if I can get cheep I can part it out.

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts