Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on restoring my 72 CL350 crank cases.
I'm not going for a polished look, just some tips on getting these things looking new.
Chemicals? wire wheel?
Appreciate any help

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
IF they are off the bike I soak them in a mix of Simple green and hot water for a about 20 minutes and then just scrub them clean, rinse with water and blow dry with compressed air. IF they on the bike they any good foaming degreaser, plastic bristle brush, and a trip to the car wash will do wonders.

I like Duplicolor engine enamel in the aluminum color or silver I forget which but it comes out almost the exact same color as original.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
A hot tank does a pretty good job on them too, I had my upper and lower case, head and cylinders hot tanked at a speed shop in Tampa and they came out nice and clean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to have the covers off so I'll be able to give them a soak, thanks.
Any tips for the spokes and rims?

·
Registered
224 Posts
A hot tank does a pretty good job on them too, I had my upper and lower case, head and cylinders hot tanked at a speed shop in Tampa and they came out nice and clean
I know this is quite an old post but after hot tank did you paint them also? In cleaning the parts motor the paint is coming off and was wondering about finding someone who does soda blasting. I'm guessing just taping critical surfaces would be sufficient, then paint with high temp aluminum paint.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
I know this is quite an old post but after hot tank did you paint them also? In cleaning the parts motor the paint is coming off and was wondering about finding someone who does soda blasting. I'm guessing just taping critical surfaces would be sufficient, then paint with high temp aluminum paint.
Actually, the hot tank didn't take off any paint from my cases. There was a little bit of corroded look at the rear of the upper case and I spot-painted it with the last of the oyster silver I used on the outer covers and it covered it up nicely. Many people here have used an automotive silver on theirs, but for the life of me I can't recall which brand or color... someone will know

1 - 7 of 7 Posts