Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone have and extra for my 71 k4 before i go scouring the internet? i was sand blasting last night and didn't notice it until all the old paint was removed. wonder how long i was riding on it like that? scary... pics coming.

bill(if your listening), STILL trying to figure out my front brake rotor situation, hopefully santa brings me a torque wrench so i can 'properly' RE-put my front wheel back together without a wobbly rotor. fingers crossed thats what the problem is.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Upper or lower? (I think they're both called bridges, right?)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I sold the K4 bridge I had - when the guy blasted it, a crack was evidenced.
I gave him a refund of course, but you sure couldn't detect the crack before it was blasted - I saw it before and after.

You'll just have to look for a used one and take your chances......it will take patience, they do show up on EBay.

I think they're still available from Honda,#53230-319-000, for CB450 K3-K4
But over $110 (ouch)......

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Yes, you CAN use a 750 top tree (69 through 78) with the 450 bottom one...You WILL lose the rubber mounts for the bars (as the fours were smooth enough not to need them), but IF you are going Cafe' they are OK.... The 500/4 and 550/4 trees will fit the neck, but they have to be used as a set as the forward offset is a bit less...otherwise, tube size/spacing is the same..(meter mounts are not).. 650/4 tops should fit the 450 trees as well, but the tube size on the Custom models is larger, so only consider the "standard" model.

Glad to hear you may get a torque wrench from Santa, but post the rotor size you have just in case... I'm sure I have some....

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
JT... (AFAIK), the lower "tree" is the " stem and bracket" while the top is the "bridge"......BUT, I still call what you would call a "Wrist-pin" a "Gudgeon", so what do I know....LOL..... :lol: :lol: :lol: Steve

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will do steve. i did mean to address that brake comment to you, not bill. you don't have any of those tree pieces huh?

i would consider that swap now GB. are saying swap the trees alone or the fork tubes as well(pretty much a whole new front end)?

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
You can swap just the pair of trees, or just the specified tops...Uses your existing tubes, brakes, wheel, fender, etc..........
I MAY have a 450 bridge...give me some time.....
If you want a whole "new" front end, check out Bill's 450 with the CB/CM 400 front end on it... Clean and works well....Steve

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
I've got a brand new top tree for a '68 CL350 if that will fit.

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
On the later model, (pinch-clamp) tops it is (if the bolts/nuts weren't properly installed and torqued in the correct tightening sequence)... On the top-bolt type (like yours ) it's not usually a problem.......

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Excellent point GB.... Those are 'special' washers and MUST be used.........

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
66Sprint said:
Excellent point GB.... Those are 'special' washers and MUST be used.........

I agree, that's a good reminder. I was missing one when I took my front end apart but they are easily made with a stainless steel washer and just grind one side flat. I used the other side as a template but it's really not a precision part.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
proud to report i was mindful of those washers but it probably was ME tightening those clamps to hard that created the "hairline crack." that said a couple of taps on that crack with a wrench and i had two pieces of my bridge. i'll be waiting patiently for any possible leads any of you may have as i search hi and low myself. if i have to break down and buy a new one i will but a possible replacement has to be out there for cheaper...

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
GB that last one is cracked right where mine broke but i did get excited earlier today when i saw it...

purchased the one mike sent over, awesome. you guys are just awesome. so many thanks. i want to go back and see when that was listed because i swear i didn't see it three hours ago in my search...

***edit***
seriously thats the fastest i moved in a while once i read your post mike...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts