Honda Twins banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In trying to diagnose an engine knock (see http://www.hondatwins.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1456) I'm trying to remove the clutch and I'm having a hard time getting the lock nut off. Is there any trick to getting it off? I'm using the hammer and drift method but it's getting me no where. Any tips?

Also, if the oil pump gear is removed, should the clutch assembly be free to rotate around? I ask because mine rotates freely for two and a half revolutions and then stops. Is this normal?

This is for a '80 CB400T.

Thanks

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
You would have to remove the wider small gear on the end of the crankshaft that mates to the clutch basket gear as well.......Even with the oil pump gears off, the clutch is still rotating the crank and pistons.... And the valves are operating.......

·
Registered
175 Posts
the clutch basket is driven by the motor. As long as it's engaged to the motor, the basket can't turn without the motor turning. The centre shaft is engaged to the the... in fact, is the gearbox input shaft. If the clutch plates are removed and the gearbox is in neutral, that shaft can be turned with little resistance. If the gearbox is engaged, the output shaft/drive sprocket that drives the rear chain must turn when the input shaft turns.

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just into my local Honda dealer and inquired if they would loan me the tool, unfortunately they wouldn't. Asked the price of it and it is $50.00, couldn't believe it. That's quite a price for a little socket. Guess I'll be ordering one of those Motion Pro ones.

·
Registered
785 Posts
HerrDeacon said:
I was just into my local Honda dealer and inquired if they would loan me the tool, unfortunately they wouldn't. Asked the price of it and it is $50.00, couldn't believe it. That's quite a price for a little socket. Guess I'll be ordering one of those Motion Pro ones.
I just bought both of them.
Motion Pro said:
Dear Ray Fitzpatrick,

We have received your Motion Pro Order #2825985. To check the status of your order, log into your account at http://www.shopatron.com/account/.

If you have questions about your order, please call (877) 412-7467 (toll free) and have your order number 2825985 available. Once your order has been assigned for fulfillment, it cannot be changed or canceled.

For your convenience, your order information follows:

Qty Part# Name Total
1 08-0015 OIL FILTER & CLUTCH HUB SPANNER USD$ 9.20
1 08-0385 Counter Balancer & Clutch Hub Spanner For Honda 20mm USD$ 9.50

Estimated Shipping & Handling USD$ 6.50
Estimated Order Total USD$ 25.20
My previous Motion Pro clutch tool got lost in the US Mail when I lent it to someone. I do not lend my tools anymore. :roll:

·
Premium Member
5,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not a fan of loaning tools either, but was hoping the dealer was :) They did say that if I brought the bike in they'd gladly take it off for me, but I have no way of getting the bike in there.

I'm modifying a car brake caliper tool to see if that will work. If not, I'll be doing as you did and order one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts