Honda Twins banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the cb360 is very close to being done (thanks for the help, even if you don't remember helping) so I've been looking for another bike to wrench on. Been checking craigslist for weeks and weeks looking for a cb550 and in my quest stumbled upon this guy. Possibly a mistake, but these things are just to cool to pass up, and I ended up getting a decent price for it. Sorry, typical cell phone pic.

1974 Norton Commando 850 Roadster

It doesn't run, PO said no spark. Only has 9500 on the clock. He put on a Boyer electronic ignition and a direct box to replace the regulator/rectifier. It also has a single mikuni kit on it (thanks for that). Rebuilt the top end a few years ago but I haven't had time to test the compression. He had a horrible fiberglass front fender on there that would apparently fall off due to poor attachment, which resulted in multiple breaks and fixes so I immediately ditched that. The 2-1 exhaust that's on there must go as well. It came with the customary box o' junk that comes with most used bikes.

Anyways, I'm excited to work on it, just wanted to share.

Ben

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys.

Bird76Mojo- lucky bastard is right, this one fell right into my lap. It was taking forever for the PO to get pictures to me so I was sure someone would swoop in and take it from under my nose, but it turned out good.

What I want to do with this bike is pretty much return it to stock. There's no way I'm gonna be cutting the frame on this or doing any irreversible mods to it. I would like to get a Corbin Gunfighter seat http://www.corbin.com/norton/nortongun.shtml, maybe some clipons and rearsets. Definitely want the stock 2-2 peashooters back on and hopefully the rest will be cleanup and paint. The frame paint has seen better days and is pretty much gone under the seat. I'm thinkin I will have it painted instead of powdercoat. I was surprised at the parts availability for these bikes, they are a little more expensive, but not out of reach.

Anyways, gotta get her running first. I'll try to keep you guys posted.

Ben

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
Brly said:
Thanks guys.

Bird76Mojo- lucky bastard is right, this one fell right into my lap. It was taking forever for the PO to get pictures to me so I was sure someone would swoop in and take it from under my nose, but it turned out good.

What I want to do with this bike is pretty much return it to stock. There's no way I'm gonna be cutting the frame on this or doing any irreversible mods to it. I would like to get a Corbin Gunfighter seat http://www.corbin.com/norton/nortongun.shtml, maybe some clipons and rearsets. Definitely want the stock 2-2 peashooters back on and hopefully the rest will be cleanup and paint. The frame paint has seen better days and is pretty much gone under the seat. I'm thinkin I will have it painted instead of powdercoat. I was surprised at the parts availability for these bikes, they are a little more expensive, but not out of reach.

Anyways, gotta get her running first. I'll try to keep you guys posted.

Ben
Aaaahh the good old US of A, land of the cheep bike. I'll add a lucky bastard to the original one. In OZ that's $3000 just sitting there and that would have been a steal :D Keep us posted on the progress.

Rod from OZ :cool:

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Nice project!

I have a set of magura Clip ons from the 70's that would be erra correct. I believe they're 38mm I.D.'s.

Not sure of the fork size on those, but let me know. I will let them go pretty inexpensively.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JeyLux, thanks for the offer. The forks on this bike are 34mm. If you should find out that your clip ons are that size, let me know. I'd be more than happy to take em off your hands!

Ben

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Bird76Mojo said:
I might just have your back on that one... I'll have to get new batteries for my caliper so I can measure them though..

The ones I have are old school Magura (aluminum) as well. They'll need polished or sanded and painted..

GB :mrgreen:

They will say on their serial number, i can't remember if it's the beginning two digits or the trailing though. :(

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Yeah I remembered that but they have a set of pretty nifty little pre-shaped shims in them too. That's why I wanted to measure them. The clip-ons themselves are 38mm.. Probably sleeved down to 34? I think I got them onto my forks once (35mm) after much forcing/pressure.. BUT I can't remember for sure.

Still gotta get those batteries for the caliper..

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
I wouldn't run them with shims on my bike.

That's why I have a set @ 38mm still. Something about my life in the hands of a shim that bothers me slightly :shock:

Jason

·
Sensei
27,183 Posts
Jason... Mechanically, there is no difference between the "grip" of a "bare" clamp and the clamped "grip" of one with a correctly sized shim...(assuming the correct torque was applied in both cases)....
I deliberately get the clip-ons oversize and use a heavy/solid rubber shim.... No real difference between that and the stock rubber mount bar risers...and lots less vibrational transfer than "rigid" clip-ons....(They passed tech inspection at Daytona, but this was back in the 70's...)

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
JeyLux said:
I wouldn't run them with shims on my bike.

That's why I have a set @ 38mm still. Something about my life in the hands of a shim that bothers me slightly :shock:

Jason
I felt exactly the same way although Steve is right about it. Just personal preference...

P.S. The Magura set I have available are 38mm shimmed down to 34mm...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quick update for the past few weeks,

Found the wiring harness in disarray, broken wires, bare wires, poor connections, etc. Fixed that stuff, chased a blowing fuse for a while, threw in some new plugs and got good spark at kick over. Tried starting it and got a pretty bad kickback (kickstart only), so I did some homework and found that the battery has to be fully charged or the electronic ignition will cause a bad kickback, easy fix there. So today, with charged battery in hand I gave it another shot. Pretty cold today at 14 F but she eventually started up with no kickback, only ran for about a minute but my rigged up fuel tank wasn't exactly liquid tight, so I left it at that, IT RUNS!

It will probably be a while before my next update, the barn isn't really the warmest place to work, and I have to finish up the 360 sometime.
Just wanted to let you guys know.

Ben

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Thanks for the update, sounds like fun work to me!

Keep us updated on the progress.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts