Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
1975 Honda CB360T, This spring when I did my de-winterizing I charged the battery. I found that the battery did not hold a charge for more than a couple of days. When the battery went down, the starter would strain. If it had been ridden within a day or so, the starter worked. I got back from a week trip and I tried the starter and it made some pathetic noise, so I just kick started it and drove home. The starter strained to crank the motor and I could hear it trying to turn like a groan. I used the starter like this say less than a dozen times before I gave in and bought a new battery and charged it, put it in, and now the soleniod simply clicks when I push the starter button (sounds like it it coming from under the seat). help! My wife rides it and she does not like to kick start the bike (it starts pretty easy).
thanks and you can help me be her hero!

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
The simple answer is YES - a weak Battery will cause the starter to struggle.
More than that a weak battery is one that is getting ready to fail especially if as you say it won't hold a charge for more that a couple of days.

These older have Twins have a Battery dependent ignition system - Weak/Dead Battery = No Spark.

While your wife may not like kick starting she'll be much less happy about pushing it home once the battery fails and leaves her stranded on the side of the road.

I'm thinking that you need to either buy her a new battery or yourself a tent for sleeping in the back yard.

Battery much cheaper in the long run. :p :p :p

Next winter buy a $30 dollar battery tender and the battery will last much longer. You should also check the water level it may have evaporated over the winter and that can either prevent the battery from charging properly &/or kill it outright.

·
Premium Member
5,550 Posts
You say the new battery acts the same as the old? Did you replace it with the correct size battery? Proper charging for them is under 2 amps, if you have a charger that can't get under that you may have already ruined the new battery. What is the current resting voltage of the new battery OUT side of the bike after being charged for a few hours?

Are the cable connections clean and tight? Follow the cables out from the battery, is the POS cable tight on that starter relay (thing you called solenoid) clean and tight? Other cable that goes to the starter in good shape under the bike and clean and tight on the starter? Negative cable attached to the transmission/frame correctly and tight? Fuses in their holders clean/incorrectly?

If all that is good, get a GOOD plasitc or rubber handle screwdriver. Bike ON center stand, seat UP. On the starter relay the top two nuts are basiclly coneceted to each other when you press the start button. Inside are contacts that can become corroded or burned with use. To test to see if the relay is BAD, take that screwdriver and touch the blade to BOTH nuts at the SAME time. It will spark, just FYI. If the starter spins and spins well the starter relay is bad.

And with all that Welcome to the forums! Feel free to post up in the introduction section with plenty of pics!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Welcome to the group. We like for folks to start off with a post in the member introductions section to let us know a bit about yourself and your bike(s). It will help you to get appropriate answers to your questions if you add your location to your profile and create a signature with the model of your bike. And we really like pictures!:p

An alternative to the last suggestion is to use a test light. First you need to ensure that the cable connections at the battery, starter relay, ground, and starter are all clean and tight. Connect the alligator clip of the test light to ground and hold the probe on the post on the starter. When you push the start button the relay should "click" and the test light should light up. If it does light up and the starter does not spin you have a problem with the starter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Welcome to the group. We like for folks to start off with a post in the member introductions section to let us know a bit about yourself and your bike(s). It will help you to get appropriate answers to your questions if you add your location to your profile and create a signature with the model of your bike. And we really like pictures!:p

An alternative to the last suggestion is to use a test light. First you need to ensure that the cable connections at the battery, starter relay, ground, and starter are all clean and tight. Connect the alligator clip of the test light to ground and hold the probe on the post on the starter. When you push the start button the relay should "click" and the test light should light up. If it does light up and the starter does not spin you have a problem with the starter.

Trying to crank the motor a dozen times with a low battery should not have damaged the starter I hope. I guess that is my question.

I bought a brand new battery. It is the correct battery (YUSA), charged with a trickle charger. I had the old one on the trickle charger last winter every few weeks for a week or so. It was old.

The starter was struggling to turn the crank with the old battery, now with the new charged battery in, the relay only clicks. I will try the test light. and check for clean contacts at the battery. Thanks!

My first bike was a old 70's Honda SL125, very similar except the CB360T has two cylinders! I think I used to run that one without a battery at times?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My first bike was a old 70's Honda SL125, very similar except the CB360T has two cylinders! I think I used to run that one without a battery at times?
I was not old enough to drive on the street, I don't think the headlight worked and there sure was no electric starter. The kickstarter shaft stripped on that bike, and tried so many crazy things to hold it on. A hardened tapered pin driven through a drilled hole. Welding by my grandfather's friend Buddy. I think that held the longest...
I blew up the piston rings, and it ran fine when it stayed warmed up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
bridging relay bolts with a screwdriver turns starter

You say the new battery acts the same as the old? Did you replace it with the correct size battery? Proper charging for them is under 2 amps, if you have a charger that can't get under that you may have already ruined the new battery. What is the current resting voltage of the new battery OUT side of the bike after being charged for a few hours?

Are the cable connections clean and tight? Follow the cables out from the battery, is the POS cable tight on that starter relay (thing you called solenoid) clean and tight? Other cable that goes to the starter in good shape under the bike and clean and tight on the starter? Negative cable attached to the transmission/frame correctly and tight? Fuses in their holders clean/incorrectly?

If all that is good, get a GOOD plasitc or rubber handle screwdriver. Bike ON center stand, seat UP. On the starter relay the top two nuts are basiclly coneceted to each other when you press the start button. Inside are contacts that can become corroded or burned with use. To test to see if the relay is BAD, take that screwdriver and touch the blade to BOTH nuts at the SAME time. It will spark, just FYI. If the starter spins and spins well the starter relay is bad.

And with all that Welcome to the forums! Feel free to post up in the introduction section with plenty of pics!
Yes! lots of sparks, made me jump back a bit... but the starter turned right over. Can I disassemble the relay and clean the inner workings?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts