Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
How do I determine the correct tire pressure? Manual says 28 pounds, but I have Cheng Shins. Is it different?

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I would follow the tire manufacturers specs. Although, on my supermoto I always leave it a couple psi lower than specified, for a hair better traction with a slightly larger contact patch. That's just my personal preference though.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
That's very odd. It doesn't list a number/psi rating? I was under the assumption that all tires listed that, and that is was mandatory that they had to. Especially DOT compliant tires. Look on the opposite side. It should be there somewhere in very small print.

On my tires, it's only listed on one side, and very small at that. They're Avons.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
86 Posts
The tire will have a maximum loading and pressure rating written on the sidewall. For example "41 psi max pressure @ 400 lbs." Which would mean, if the tire is supporting 400lbs, the tire should be inflated to 41 psi.

I could be wrong, but I believe this means that 41 psi should be the tire pressure only when loading the tire to its limit. For less weight, you use less pressure. On the sticker on the bike showing the motorcycle manufacturer's tire pressure recommendations, there is usually separate tire pressures listed for solo and passenger riding. The front stays the same, normally, and the rear is recommended to be set to a higher pressure when riding a passenger.

·
Registered
785 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Chris - I'd probably try maybe 30-32 pounds to start.
See how it feels and handles, then go from there........
I like 32 psi in my tires, all of them be it radials or bias ply.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i have been hearing bad reports about the Cheng Shins if you happen to hit a little water. Now i know most tires will slip in water (less friction obviously) but the Cheng's are said to be really notorious. I was advised to get some Avons. Any opinions on that?

·
Registered
608 Posts
zx12ryder said:
i have been hearing bad reports about the Cheng Shins if you happen to hit a little water. Now i know most tires will slip in water (less friction obviously) but the Cheng's are said to be really notorious. I was advised to get some Avons. Any opinions on that?
well the Avon is a better (higher priced) tire you get what you pay for, but most people wouldn't use the maximum availible traction of the Cheng Shin let alone the Avon sometime a compromise is good.......
setting tire pressures is a semi-dark art, part feel part whats best for the tire, set your pressure at the tire makers recommended pressure, ride the bike until tires are at operating temp, 10/15 miles at speed, read this
http://www.fixya.com/motorcycles/t12295 ... e_pressure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts