Honda Twins banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
My heart goes out t
I only wish that I could work from home. As an ER physician, it is only a matter of time until I get the virus. We're rapidly running out of masks and protective equipment, and the virus hasn't even hit anything close to a peak. And dammit, we're running out of toilet paper.
Take the time to ride and enjoy what you can, find ways to keep the family occupied. Stay away from crowds, wash your hands, and keep yourself in the best physical and mental shape that you can to minimize your risk if you get the virus. Don't lick the subway poles.
On a side note, there are about a thousand Americans stuck in Honduras (which is under 24-7 lockdown) with no way out, including one of my colleagues and his family. He is also an ER physician, and his wife is a nurse. The Canadian government quickly sent airliners to Honduras to extract their citizens. So far, the US government has been zero help for ours. The Honduran government has refused to let them charter a flight. If you know any senators or congressmen, encourage them to weigh in.
My heart goes out to you Pemdoc. Stay as safe and healthy as you possibly can. Thank you for the work you are doing. If anyone is dismissing or ignoring their responsibility for social distancing think no further than this man and what he is fighting on a daily basis. He is but one of the many faces on the battle lines. Hoping for an end to this virus and the day you can return to riding and working on your projects.

·
Super Moderator
11,002 Posts
Absolutely agree - my wife's youngest son works triage at St. Joe's ER in Tampa, and they're practically wearing the equivalent of full hazmat suits. Being a first responder, cop, firefighter, doctor or nurse in times like these is the toughest job of all and we should all be thankful for their continued efforts in the most difficult of times.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Thanks, guys. My wife told me to go ahead and get the virus now, while we still have ventilators available. :) My wife is a primary care physician, and she feels like she is going into battle every morning. It certainly does feel like that. My cousin who is an EMT and an Afghanistan vet agrees. I hope that everybody keeps safe and at home. One positive note: I used the Walmart grocery pickup for the first time today, and it was very efficient and human contact minimal.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
As of midnight to night Ohio is under a stay at home order. Carry out restaurants, gas stations and essential employees only aloud on the road to and from work. You are able to drive to and from the store. You can take a walk around your house as long as you stay away from other people. Day care open by special permit. You can drive to and from the doctors or drug store. Other than that you cant leave the house or you are subject to arrest. This is going to hurt a lot of people and the economy. If it saves lives it will be worth it but its going to be tough.

Bill

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Likewise Bill.

Now just the same here in the UK. Us over 70s have to self isolate for at least 12 weeks. But got loads to do. Harder knowing family is just around the corner but not supposed to mix.

Take care everyone.

·
Registered
527 Posts
We haven't gotten that far in Kentucky yet, but it is only a matter of time. Our governor seems to be on top of things, which is refreshing in the current political climate. Try to stay well.

·
Super Moderator
11,002 Posts
We haven't gotten that far in Kentucky yet, but it is only a matter of time. Our governor seems to be on top of things, which is refreshing in the current political climate. Try to stay well.
I wish I could say the same for Florida, or at least west central FL. They left the beaches open all last week for the idiot spring breakers who somehow must think either it's no big deal or they're immune because of their age, using the excuse they had pre-ordered so much food and supplies that it would go to waste if they had to close... yeah, they couldn't have donated the stuff to food banks or other outlets to help the elderly or those who aren't working now because of the situation. So glad I moved to a rural area 4 years ago, the peace and quiet combined with the significantly lower population is basically automatic self-isolation, and we like it that way.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Unfortunately the idiots are fully international. We live in a beautiful area with possibly the best beaches in the country which were packed over the weekend. Business as usual!

In London the underground trains are still rammed and only a few nights ago public houses were full to the brim.

What virus?

·
Registered
6,461 Posts
Obvious, shameless profiteering is rampant....shelves in our stores are bare due to people like this. My last trip to the store scored a bag of onions and 12 ounces of bacon, all I could find. Not even worth the risk of going there. Looks like I'll be eating onion soup for a while.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I wish I could say the same for Florida, or at least west central FL. They left the beaches open all last week for the idiot spring breakers who somehow must think either it's no big deal or...
The idiot Miami spring breakers even made it to the German main TV news. I think Einstein once said that two things are infinite. The universe and the stupidness of mankind. But then he said: "Well, although I'm not so sure about the universe."

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Just checking back in making sure you all are ok...under these trying circumstances. Gotta tip my hat to NY Gov, took a lead role here and seems to speak more sincerely to citizens. I once worked with him, he‘s def hardline 😀
my local markets have done a good job and overall, neighborhoods are adhering to social distancing.
gonna be 55 today and sunny so hitting the streets for a ride; only positive thing....no traffic on my routes.
look like nyc schools are gonna be shuttered for an extended period of time...guess no more free babysitting for the parents...
be good to each other and if anyone wants additional NY-based info, post here and I can share if applicable

best regards to all

·
Super Moderator
9,847 Posts
Things are quieter here though there are some cases of "community spread" in the state. Businesses are still open but restricted to 10 customers on premisis. Still some nitwits thinking they're bullet proof, kinda like I did 50 years ago.:whistle:

·
Registered
661 Posts
Here in Azerbaijan the numbers are also beginning to rise faster now but who knows how many are really infected. The border to Iran remained open for quite a while and this country is also not necessarily the motherland of the free press.
But the government it taking the situation quite serious on the other hand. Public life has been shut down to a minimum and they seem to follow the advice of experts. People are also keeping distance now which is certainly no implicitness here.
Since it is finally warming up I recently thought of riding to clear out my head but now they've closed the city of Baku. Riding in the City is not much fun and quite dangerous too. It also doesn't help when you know that hospitals probably couldn't do much for you right now anyway. Sigh...
Stay healthy and safe everyone.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Thanks for your report.

It's interesting to see that while we are all very different we all remain very much the same.

Take Care.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts