Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apart from our love of motorcycles which we share in common we are all now faced with the evil of the Coronavirus and the prospect of being in isolation at some point especially us older members who are considered more vulnerable.

This forum has always had a great social aspect to it whereby strangers become friends and as such we all look out for each other.

I would hope that any member here who suffers distress as a result of the virus, or who feels lonely or in need of any help feels able to call upon fellow members to assist.

I am sure enough people here care enough to help their fellow members where they can in times of personal need and there is no shame in asking for help. We all need it from time to time!

Keep safe and please watch out for each other.

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
Apart from our love of motorcycles which we share in common we are all now faced with the evil of the Coronavirus and the prospect of being in isolation at some point especially us older members who are considered more vulnerable.

This forum has always had a great social aspect to it whereby strangers become friends and as such we all look out for each other.

I would hope that any member here who suffers distress as a result of the virus, or who feels lonely or in need of any help feels able to call upon fellow members to assist.

I am sure enough people here care enough to help their fellow members where they can in times of personal need and there is no shame in asking for help. We all need it from time to time!

Keep safe and please watch out for each other.
Well said Ray, I couldn’t agree with your sentiments more. At least we have this virtual space where we can share thoughts and ideas when we are hampered by the ability to have direct, face to face communications. I travel for work, but my job was just shut down indefinitely because of the virus and I will now travel home (regional travel that doesn’t involve airlines thank goodness). I feel fortunate to have an abundance of supplies and shop projects to keep me busy as I begin to self isolate in my shop for the near future. I hope we can all stay safe and support each other in the ways that we can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well said.

The good part of self quarantine is that I don't like people within 6 feet of me when I'm wrenching on my bike. :)

Thanks to all you dudes, old and young, who patiently teach strangers and who so generously give of your time.

·
Registered
193 Posts
i'm fortunate enough to be a "one man show" working from home in my shop, so as long as i can get supplies i'm good. this may even give me some time to work on the Mini-A.C.E. / Hon-dian project more. be safe, and don't be "that guy".

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
hi forum friends,

Thought I'd clarify what is happening as there is a lot of misinformation. Being from NY and sadly, right in the county that has the largest NY outbreaks as of this writing....I'd like to share the following. I personally reside 35 min. outside the 'containment zone'. National Guard was dispatched.

1. NYC officials were aware months back about the virus but nobody could foresee the rapid spread. To opine, I don't believe they wished to create panic.
2. NYC school teachers were inadvertently referred to as 'daycare' during Mayor De Blasio's press conference. The officials kept stating that 'child supervision' and 'access to much-needed meals' was important. NOBODY mentioned any loss of educational opportunities.
3. NYC schools can have up to 3,000 people; Students, staff, and personnel. Teachers and the national union pressured the Mayor to close the schools. He would not budge. As of Sunday night, NY Gov. Cuomo made an executive order to close the schools. This came one day after the teachers collectively wrote an opinion piece in NY Times, urging the schools to close so they would not be recklessly put in harm's way. Looks like NYC schools, the largest school district in the country will close until April 20th. Remote learning, packets sent home to kids.
4. Yes, local supermarkets in some areas have run out of health-based supplies. re-stocks are planned. Many people are successfully shopping for supermarket goods online, with positive results
5. NY's charter states that if needed, martial law can be implemented. There are curfews in some areas. Restaurants and bars are closed down. Restaurants can only open for take-out only.
6. Sen. Chuck Schumer has introduced a bill to pump $$ to areas needing access to testing, supplies, etc. However, Sen. Majority Leader McConnell did leave town late last week. This is confirmed. I am certain that his signature is needed. Trump already stated twice he supports the bill.
7. NYC Public transportation is not shut down.
8. NYC Mayor De Blasio has stated more than once that '6 months' to end all this is quite realistic.
9. There is a Level 3 travel ban, second highest security measure available.
10. Gatherings of now more than 25 people are not permitted under any circumstances. I believe police can take you into custody and impose fines. I am unsure of punitive measures but this new number of people went into effect this morning.

'Just the facts, mam.'

Be smart. Take care of those that matter to you. and yes, since new schedules allow it, I will be riding :) as NY is slated for some nice weather ahead. However, I'm keeping my helmet visor all the way shut!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
though I can work remotely within my industry I still empathize with those that cannot. I think the bottom line is that officials are scrambling and any seemingly right decision will always be met with heavy scrutiny. I just think that educators being referred to basic babysitters via press conferences is disrespectful, unwarranted, and plain absurd. The word 'babysitter' was not mentioned but indirectly was by the NYC Mayor. For those that spent $$ on Master's degrees....good luck.

The virus and potential impacts were mentioned long before this. It was reckless for the mayor to keep schools open longer than other states and have to be pressured by the gov. to finally close shows horrible leadership. Lastly, employers are ALREADY looking for loopholes in the bill regarding paying personnel sick time etc. disgraceful.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Being home has it's risks but for those of us outside our home country we have ended up in limbo waiting for clarification on returning, travel insurance and the local risks.

We were supposed to be in Puerto Vallarta until April 7th, decided to bump our return date to March 26. Found out that your cell phone can cut out after a two hour call. Actually had an agent doing the change when the phone went beep. Not a good feeling as I figured I had hit the wrong button. Called back and listened to the on hold music and messages for another 2 hours before the phone went beep again. Finally got through the next morning, had skype on the computer and whats app call on the cell. Got an agent in 70 minutes and it took another 20 to make the changes.

Now the Canadian Gov't and our airline, West Jet, have announced that the airline will no longer be flying passengers out of Canada after March 22 and will be then concentrating on bringing people back home. But we haven't been told how that is going to happen.

Some travel insurance companies have given notice that they are limiting or denying benefits to travellers who contact the virus or who even have symptoms like what the virus has. Our company has stated our coverage is in place.

Then when we do get home we will be facing 14 day self quarantine. Seeing where we are has not been affected, that we know of, we figure the quarantine is a better idea for us than for anyone that we may be in contact with.

Which then leads to the locals..... with a tourist based economy they are starting to be concerned. There is a cruise ship parked in the harbor that has sparked a lot of rumours. All the passengers were tested and then put on planes back to the city they loaded from. But the locals believe the ship is full and in quarantine. The other thing the locals believe is that because of the heat the virus can't survive here. Dangerous assumption. At least their hasn't been a run on toilet paper.

·
Super Moderator
11,047 Posts
Well, that sucks... you just never know what's going to happen when you take a vacation. I wish you good luck getting home and dealing with the powers that be in the process.

·
Super Moderator
11,047 Posts
I was thinking that a good head clearing ride on a motorcycle has got to be the definition of social distancing.
Absolutely - with the added advantage of any airborne germs having a tough time sticking with someone inside a helmet at speed. I've always said that no matter your mood, be it angry or stressed, a good hard ride will help you forget it for a while since you can't think of much else than ride focus while blasting down a stretch of highway or through some twisty roads

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
Here in southern Ohio krogers, Walmart and Rural King , and gas stations are open with limited hours. Banks and restaurants are drive thru only. Safety services, hospitals are normal.Everything else is shut down. J-T I know how to get rid of your snow. 5 years ago at age 73 I broke down and bought a snow thrower. It hasnt snowed here since.

Bill

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
No traffic whatsoever on my usual riding routes....other than that....all non-essential NY businesses have closed. This is gonna get worse before it gets better. Wishing the best to all my forum friends...and yes, even on warm days close that helmet visor until this situation calms down..I‘m only half kidding, ugh. Crucial times for sure!

·
Registered
527 Posts
I only wish that I could work from home. As an ER physician, it is only a matter of time until I get the virus. We're rapidly running out of masks and protective equipment, and the virus hasn't even hit anything close to a peak. And dammit, we're running out of toilet paper.
Take the time to ride and enjoy what you can, find ways to keep the family occupied. Stay away from crowds, wash your hands, and keep yourself in the best physical and mental shape that you can to minimize your risk if you get the virus. Don't lick the subway poles.
On a side note, there are about a thousand Americans stuck in Honduras (which is under 24-7 lockdown) with no way out, including one of my colleagues and his family. He is also an ER physician, and his wife is a nurse. The Canadian government quickly sent airliners to Honduras to extract their citizens. So far, the US government has been zero help for ours. The Honduran government has refused to let them charter a flight. If you know any senators or congressmen, encourage them to weigh in.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I don't think we have sent a plane to Honduras. My understanding is so far we have sent one plane to pick up 4000 Canadians in Moroco. Personally I don't feel the resources should be used up trying to bring home people that should have been smart enough to do it on their own a couple weeks ago. The Canadaian government offered loans of up to $5000 for anyone that needed to buy an unscheduled ticket.The reality of the disease is that it has been spread around the world by those that are well to do. There are still snowbirds straggling across the border now and it's only a 2 day drive home from Florida. They have ignored the situation for weeks while the disease spread. We need to be concerned with keeping our medical system up and running, food on peoples tables and the heat on in their homes. All of our resources need to be focused at home, there is a bear in the kitchen.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
My middle daughter, her husband and son had it last week and were pretty sick for about 5 days.Their daughter is an RN and her husband is a police officer. 3 weeks ago she had my 4th great grand son so they are both on leave. I dread the time they have to go back to work.You can only hope for the best and prepare for the worst but its bad when you cant help them.

Bill

1 - 20 of 34 Posts