·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MNellis said:
tbpmusic said:
How bikes used to make me feel.......

......and NOW?
More like this usually.....(hopeless quagmire, under fire)

Real photo from 'Nam......a real Story with this one.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little more of the Story -

My buddy and I were sent to a remote airfield to pick up some stuff for our C.O. - two air conditioners for his personal quarters.
That's my buddy in the jeep, frantically trying to get un-stuck - but it was hopeless, that mud was the absolute worst. We came under a mortar/rocket attack, all the other drivers had bailed already, as you can see.
The jeep had only rear wheel drive (front drive was broken, naturally - like nearly everything else over there), and after I took the photo we both ran for it. Took us a couple of days to get back to our base, minus the jeep, trailer, and air conditioners.
The C.O. was so pissed he gave us both an Article 15, but we were good with that, at least we survived.

At any rate, just a couple of minutes after the above jeep photo was taken, this Air America DC-3 finished refueling, attempted a takeoff under fire and took a direct hit from a B-40 rocket and was obliterated.......it's unknown what they were doing there, probably CIA spooks......we didn't stick around to find out.

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Cool story. What sort of NJP did you get for "forgetting the truck"? :)

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
MNellis said:
Cool story. What sort of NJP did you get for "forgetting the truck"? :)
A colonel at battalion level handled it, just gave us both a $50 fine.......he didn't have air conditioners either and decided our C.O. was out of line......

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Meadus said:
I'd love to hear more of your stories if you're willing to write em! haha
Perhaps another time - it was not a time in my life that produced fond memories.........

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
tbpmusic said:
Meadus said:
I'd love to hear more of your stories if you're willing to write em! haha
Perhaps another time - it was not a time in my life that produced fond memories.........
Nope, I don't imagine it was.

We took a tour of the USS Lexington this afternoon for about 4 hours. The Lexington was the sister ship to the Essex that my dad spent several years on when I was a kid. He doesn't have fond memories of the Vietnam era either and he wasn't even gruntin through the jungle walking point.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MNellis said:
...... He doesn't have fond memories of the Vietnam era either and he wasn't even gruntin through the jungle walking point.
There are worse things than taking the point.
Once past the booby traps and mines, in an ambush the bad guys will usually allow the point man to pass, in order to hit the main body of the patrol.........
We often had dogs with us, which did a LOT to keep us in one piece. We were always yelling for MORE DOGS !!! If there was a K9 guy around, I stuck as close to them as possible.
The military and law enforcement today would do well to get MORE DOGS !!!

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Crazy stuff you guys did for us.

thanks for sharing some pictures. Helps us young-in's appreciate how easy we have it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi Bill,
I just found this, wanted to say thank you for the photo/story. Also, thank you for your service, I am glad you made it back.

·
Registered
45 Posts
For some reason the first image doesn't load, Im really interested to see the picture based on the cool stories I have read in this topic.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
bikercc said:
For some reason the first image doesn't load, Im really interested to see the picture based on the cool stories I have read in this topic.

It's just not gonna happen. Bill was a very knowledgeable (previous) member/moderator from back when the Hondatwins got started and long before that. He's since lost interest in helping out here and only visits from time to time I believe. So the pics will never show up again. As he stated, it's not a time in his life that produced fond memories and I can't say I blame him on that one...

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
272 Posts
My father was also in Vietnam, and was a career military man. He shared very few stories with us, but when him and I would go fishing, just the two of us, he would open up a bit.

Some crazy s&*t for sure. Enough to make me realize at an early age I wasn't cut out for it.

Thanks, Bill, and all other vets out there for everything you've done for us.

·
Registered
45 Posts
tru enough. No worries

1 - 19 of 19 Posts