Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to visit a relative in Nashville in a week or two whose neighbor has a 1970 CL450 for sale and says it has been sitting for five years.
He got it from his brother who died a few years ago from cancer and knows nothing about it except that the motor is not frozen. He does not
even know if his brother ever rode the bike. He is asking $1750. My cousin rolled it out of his garage and took the two pictures attached.

I have done a lot of wrenching on cars, boats and planes but never motorcycles. My concern is having to spend too much to get it in good
running shape assuming I can find the parts necessary. My bigger concern is not being able to find the parts needed at any price and being
stuck with a dead bike. I have spent a good deal of time reading hundreds of msgs here at this site but I dont ever see a consolidated
listing of parts sources etc for these old bikes. I would like to request that a moderator coordinate a sticky build that would create a
listing of parts sources etc.

So, if the engine turns over with a good battery, what is my worst case scenario for repair costs and time associated for a new motorcycle
guy with lots of tools and experience.

Sources for
Engine / carb/ ignition/ electrical / tranny / clutch parts ?
Suspension parts ?

Attachments

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
We all do our own research for parts needed - the internet is full of links to used and new parts, and the way parts come and go at the various sources like eBay and DSS and cmsnl.com and other places including Amazon, it would be impossible to amass a list of go-to places for everything anyone would need because the supply of stuff changes and/or dwindles over time, especially for NOS parts

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
That's way too pricey for a bike that hasn't run in at least 5 years (or a lot more).

Most needed parts can be found with varying degrees of difficulty - many times we have to settle for used parts.
Your photos aren't that good, but it looks like that bike is a ways from being street-worthy.
Assuming it has a clean title, I'd offer $800 or so................

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Assuming it "ran when parked", it's probably a matter of cleaning out the gas tank & petcock, cleaning the carbs, changing the oil, changing the fork oil, replacing the battery, points, plugs, tires, tubes, brake shoes, and chain. Sounds easy, doesn't it? ;) The cables may need to be replaced, too, and you may have some corroded electrical connections to sort out. If it was parked all those years ago for some mechanical or electrical issue, you'll have to repair that, too, whatever it may be.

David Silver Spares, 4into1, CMSNL, Common Motor Collective, Sirius Consolidated, Dime City Cycles, and eBay (mostly for used stuff) have been my main sources for parts.

That price does seem a little high, but that depends on how easy it is to get up and running.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
A good seat cover will cost you $100 - tires another couple hundred - cables more money - handlebar switches, big bucks.
Any rust on the exhaust?
There's rust in many places, missing bits and bobs to at least make it presentable.
If the engine is compromised, it would get pretty expensive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is evident that the bike was laid down and bent the high exhaust cover. It occurs to me that the very most difficult thing to find for Honda Scrambler bikes
is the muffler or exhaust system. Is that true ? What does it cost to have someone to fabricate a new header/ tailpipe with the specific curves needed etc ?
It scares me to think about it but I realize this cycle is one year from being 50 years old. Even if I could get it for $800 it might just be too much for me to
handle.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Good heat shields are easier to find than good complete CL exhausts. Having an exhaust replicated to look like the original would be very difficult, and the cost would be prohibitive if you could find someone to do it.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
There is no such thing as a cheap CB450 DOHC. I'm sure I have over $3000 in mine and I don't care. $800 is a good price for a starting point. On the CL450 a good exhaust is important. It is very hard to beat a stock Honda exhaust. You have to have a place to work on it and the determination to see it through. If you participate in this forum we will give you a lot of help. Jump right in!

·
Banned
854 Posts
There is no such thing as a cheap CB450 DOHC. I'm sure I have over $3000 in mine and I don't care. $800 is a good price for a starting point. On the CL450 a good exhaust is important. It is very hard to beat a stock Honda exhaust. You have to have a place to work on it and the determination to see it through. If you participate in this forum we will give you a lot of help. Jump right in!
Mine was pretty cheap. Got it by trading my labor to reupholster a chair and probably $400-$500 to get it safe for the road and running right(tires, oil, points, condenser, reg/rec, brakes, ect).

·
Registered
686 Posts
Mine was pretty cheap. Got it by trading my labor to reupholster a chair and probably $400-$500 to get it safe for the road and running right(tires, oil, points, condenser, reg/rec, brakes, ect).

I think that's the exception that proves the rule. A 50 years old bike that sat for several years is most likely not cheap. Although some parts may be surprisingly affordable it all will sum up in the end. Even a well maintained vintage bike will cost some money. I've just looked up that I've spend roughly 2500$ for spare parts, fluids and tools on my 450 and 500T in over the last 3 years and they've always been in very good shape. A project bike is a complete different thing. My 450 project will soon go beyond 3000$ just in parts and small bits.
But that being said, I wouldn't look at it from a cheap vs. expensive point of view. If you want to buy it. Negotiate the price to a reasonable level and jump right in. You won't regret it and forget to think about your wallet. Trust me...

·
Banned
854 Posts
I agree. I definitely got lucky. Plus bike was sitting for 10-15 years there wasn't too much wrong, disgusting fuel tank, dirty carbs, oil full of fuel, old tires and seized front caliper were the main problems.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
Yeah, and it can get worse... I passed the $3000 mark well before I was finished with mine, it was more like the halfway point in dollars. Really depends on how far you want to go with the cosmetics. Only things I didn't touch or spend money on in mine are the hubs, spokes and rims (and the rims are good, hubs/spokes still original and a bit dull)

·
Registered
625 Posts
If you are concerned about money, an old bike project is probably not for you. Now, I'm not saying you have to be some millionaire, but be ready to spend some bucks.
For example, Ive spent more money on TOOLS to work on my Norton in the past 2 months than I paid for my 500T 10 years ago.

That said, there IS a reason most of us here own multiple old bikes and its not because were millionaires... its because we don't know any better.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
That said, there IS a reason most of us here own multiple old bikes and its not because were millionaires... its because we don't know any better.
No, it's because any time we get one running, another one breaks........

·
Premium Member
680 Posts
That said, there IS a reason most of us here own multiple old bikes and its not because were millionaires... its because we don't know any better.[/QUOTE]
Both statements are true. Add to that, once you invest in the tools and knowledge it’s hard to pass on a Honda orphan when you find one. No Twin left behind!

·
Registered
625 Posts
That said, there IS a reason most of us here own multiple old bikes and its not because were millionaires... its because we don't know any better.[/QUOTE]
Both statements are true. Add to that, once you invest in the tools and knowledge it’s hard to pass on a Honda orphan when you find one. No Twin left behind!
Amen to that brother! Twins unite!

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
parts seem easy enough to source. Try David Silver Spares, Scrambler Cycle, www.hondarestoration.com I have had good success with Ebay.
Depending on what you need it should not be too hard because CB450s were strong sellers in the U.S. Just post pics of parts here to be examined before buying, as it's hard to judge normal wear from abuse.

Since you stated it would be your first bike...I'd walk. If it was running and just needed adjustments and TLC, go for it...but even in very good shape 450s will need hands on deck maintaining and a watchful eye. I was wrenching on mine a lot, so I wouldn't have to REALLY wrench and that was still time consuming. A well-sorted 450 will be quite the reliable vintage bike but it takes a lot to get there. Remember, this site is here to help but a lot of people here have YEARS of experience and knowledge and make it look easier than it is. and if you're in my neck of the woods people charge up to $120/hr. to wrench and they HATE our rides, unless they deal exclusively with classics.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts