1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys.
I came across this listing on craigslist for an '02 Kawasaki Mean Streak with a
stupid-low selling price of $2650. :eek: :eek:
I emailed the seller asking him if this was indeed the selling price.
Here is a link to the posting, followed by my message to him, then his reply.
Does this sound like he's on the up-and-up?
Your thoughts please.
Jim
http://littlerock.craigslist.org/mcy/1555209160.html

Is $2650.00 the correct selling price? Are you sure?
If the bike hasn't been sold I will buy it RIGHT NOW!
I live in the Memphis area and could be there Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday.
Many Thanks for your time and reply.
Jim Haynie

Hi,

the bike is in great condition, has been properly maintained, has never been laid down or abused in any way. it comes with a clean title and the price I'm selling it for is $2650 , which is including all charges.

I used to live in Sherwood but I'm currently working in the UK (London) and I'll be moving here permanently within the next few months and I can't afford the luxury of taking the bike with me so I decided to let it go.

I'm using a privately-held company called Premier Vehicle Storage Ltd. to sell this bike, I left it at their warehouse before leaving to the UK. they are supervising the entire sale process from payment, shipping with a 14-day return policy, title transfer service or/and (if needed) returns and refunding.

if you want to purchase it, let me know and I will explain you how the company works and how the transaction will be handled.

Thanks

·
Registered
703 Posts
Total scam. Too good to be true.

MOVE ON!!!

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
I ran across a similar Carigs List ad for a car recently. Even my seriously abused olfactory system detected an odor so I just walked away.

Better Business Bureau hasn't heard of Premier Vehicle Storage or the place that supposedly had the car in Las Vegas.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I'm not going to follow up.
I googled Premier Vehicle Storage and there is such a place but not in Arkansas.
The only one is in th UK.
Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Those are scams and are all over Craigs list. I have seen them in the Autos section too. If the guy cant go outside his house and put his hand on the vehicle dont even consider sending any money.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Doesn't matter whether the shipping company is reputable or the money transfer system he'll ask you to use is, this is how it works:

1) He'll ask you to confirm you have the money waiting, so that you can pay the shipping co when they arrive in a way that doesn't involve giving him any of your bank details etc (sounds good to me)

2) He'll ask you to pop into moneygram or whatever and pay money to a friend of yours then fill in a form allowing moneygram to confirm that you indeed had the cash and it was paid to your friend. (so far all this souunds fine eh?)

3) he then receives the information on the form - this includes your friends name, transaction details and address (starting to sound not so good yet?)

4) He procures fake ID in your friends name and walks into any moneygram in the world - usually the Cameroons - and withdraws all the money (doesn't matter how dodgy this sounds, your cash is already gone and you'll never hear from him again, the shipping company will have never heard of him in the first place)

If you want to dig deeper to convince yourself this is a scam, copy a large section of the wording of the ad and google it - you'll find it matches that of a similar (BUT GENUINE - do not hassle this poor guy!!!) ad from a recent ebay auction or similar. Any pictures will be taken from another similar ad.

You can report the ad to craigslist or whatever but pretty much all they can do is remove the current ad and block the guys email (it'll be a windows live or hotmail or similar so he just makes a new one) At least it saves anyone else being taken by that particular ad I guess.

Mine said he was in the navy and offshore and i took it right to the limit before i then reported it in the hopes the correspondence would be useful to someone in authority - it wasn't

·
Premium Member
2,386 Posts
Scams like this are everywhere and can pop up when you least expect it. We deal with it all the time in the restaurant business.

A friend of mine is a long term airplane magazine journalist, book author, magazine publisher, B&B Owner and Pitts Pilot Instructor and he just came very close to getting scammed in his business.

Here is the story of his recent experience. Budd is a professional writer so I don't want to cut and paste the text, rather, click this link and read it in his own words.

http://www.airbum.com/BlogOn.html

1 - 8 of 8 Posts