Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rookie question- is it important which post of the solenoid is connected to the ground and which is connected to the starter motor? It isn't clear in the FSM so I would guess that it doesn't matter but want to be sure. Bought a new solenoid from 4into1.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
The solenoid large terminals connect the battery + terminal to the starter, not the ground. The 2 smaller wires actuate the solenoid. One side to switched 12v +, the other to handlebar switch, which connect to ground to complete circuit.

So battery + large wire to large terminal on solenoid, large wire from starter to other terminal on solenoid.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
The solenoid is nothing more than a switch (bridge) that connects power from the battery to the starter.

If you connect one side to battery and the other to ground when you engage the solenoid you will create a DEAD SHORT.

Shorts are BAD.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The solenoid large terminals connect the battery + terminal to the starter, not the ground. The 2 smaller wires actuate the solenoid. One side to switched 12v +, the other to handlebar switch, which connect to ground to complete circuit.

So battery + large wire to large terminal on solenoid, large wire from starter to other terminal on solenoid.

It appears the solenoid posts are the same size:

Any idea of how I could find out which post goes to what? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,926 Posts
Doesn't matter. The large post have no polarity. Neither do the small wires. When mounted, use the most convenient post location wise. .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.