Honda Twins banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am waiting for my exhasuts to be repaired plus a few other bits to arrive so in preparation I have been giving my carbs an overhaul.

I've cleaned everything and installed new o rings.

Heres where I am unsure.

I have been watching the common-motors videos re carb identification.

My carbs have the later float bowls with large drain screws and the air screw is inside the passage (thread and spring not visible when installed).

However the airscrews are not the same as in the video i.e the thread is down the screw (not just on the head) also there is no o ring or washer.

Bike is a 1971 CL350, Chassis number 3019132 and engine number 3056810.

I need to know what correct float height level should be and are those airscrews correct for my carbs, they seem to fit perfectly.

I want to get this right first time.

Help appreciated

Tim

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
26mm float sounds right.
Your pilot screw does have an o ring... Or should. Blow some compressed air in there and it'll fly out. Might be stuck. There's also a small metal washer too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Doode thanks for the replies.
So ive re set the float heights and checked again there are definately no o rings or washers currently in there.
I do have the o ring as part of the rebuild kit but no washer and it doesn't look like its listed in the parts list.
I'm thinking an M3 ?
I assume its o ring then washer then spring?
I also assume the washer is there to prevent the o ring being damaged by the screw?

Regards
Tim

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Tim, you need the o-ring and washer. When the carbs are old they can get stuck at the bottom of the pilot air screw hole and are difficult to get out. The O-rings need to be freshened up. Usually they are included in the carb kit.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the o rings as part of the rebuild kit. There are definately no old o rings or washers in the carb - i am 100% certain. I need a size or part number for the washer.
Cheers

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
The assembly order is oring, then washer, then spring, then screw. The oring gets sandwiches between the carb body and washer, and the spring smooshes it together. After tons of years, the oring can get stuck to the carb and washer. If you peek inside it looks fine because what you're seeing is the washer. Try gently prying at the metal area to see if it'll pick off. The washer is the exact size of the oring

·
Registered
23 Posts
My 73 CB350 was missing the washer and o ring from one carb. I got the washers from tools1 on this forum. Don't remember for sure what the screw looked like but I'll check it this afternoon and if you
U don't have a reply by then I'll post

1 - 14 of 14 Posts