Honda Twins banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to replace the points and condensors on my CB450 When I look them up on the Western Hills Honda site it looks like the condensors are going to be VERY expensive. The prices on their website are never correct but it usually gives a pretty good ball park. Has anyone ever used automotive condensors?
Don

·
Registered
357 Posts
I like Western Hills Honda, but wait till this weekend. You'll find them a lot cheaper at Mid Ohio.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Ebay dude! You can get an entire "tune-up" kit for cheap a lot of the time. Many are NOS and the packages are worse for wear but I've seen em cheap. Any condensers meant for any medium/large Honda should do I'd think.

GB :mrgreen:

·
Registered
608 Posts
the condensers from mikesXS will work also and they are new not 30 year old stuff, condensers do have a shelf life

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I will be at Mid Ohio this weekend but was doing a tune up on the 450 before I took it up there. I stopped at Western Hills Honda today and got the gold plated points but couldnt let go of another $45 for the condensors. I do think that some of the aftermarket points are kind of cheap so I dont mind paying for some good old Honda stuf there but I gotta believe that any condensor of the correct size should do the job. The one on Mikes XS looks perfect. I have bought quite a few things from him for my XS650's so I know they would be good quality too. I just dont have time before I take the bike this weekend. What do you mean I am leaving things for the last minute????? It isnt Friday yet.
Don

·
Registered
363 Posts
got a set from mikes xs, the brackets a little long, but its easily modified, and its only 12 bucks. did you resistance check your current set with a multimeter? they should start lowish resistance (kohms) and fairly rapidly rise to infinity. be sure to short out the condenser lead to body before starting so you can see a full charge cycle.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good idea. I will do that test. I suspect they may be OK but hate to run these new points without knowing the condensors are working. I figured that since I have it running good on the old cleaned up points right now that I would wait and get some condensors this weekend at Mid Ohio.
Don

·
Registered
240 Posts
I bought mine as a set from Z-1 Enterprises. The condensors great but the right side point needed a groove ground out because of the screw that holds the backing plate in.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Interesting. I had the impression that oem ignition point sets for our CB450s were hard to come by. Do I understand you to say that Western Hills Honda has the good oem ones? I looked on Mikes XS web site and the only points I saw there are for Yamahas.

For the sake of completeness I'll add that I also had the impression that non oem point sets are preety much all that is available and that these are problematic.

Comments?

Thanks,

Mike V.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
The quality of the Honda brand may be better, but I believe the real issue was the points plate itself not fitting as well.. So if you're just replacing the points and not the entire plate, then I'd say any brand would suffice..

Others here who have done it recently could tell you for sure though.. ;)

GB :mrgreen:

·
Sensei
27,164 Posts
Any points that were OEM at one time (Kokusan or Daiichi) are OK.... It's the "off-brand" aftermarket ones that create problems as they are not made to as exacting tolerances.... Some of them will work, some won't adjust correctly....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts