Honda Twins banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you said my compression readings were too low. I'd love your opinion about what's going on there. I re-tested the compression tonight. The machinist who assisted me with this project recommended boring the cylinders and buying new pistons etc., but he knew I didn't have a lot of dough to put into this machine, so he said let's try the ball hone, with new rings. The cylinders had a little rust, all evidence of which was gone after the honing. I don't know the piston-to-cylinder clearance that 665 Sprint asked for. I recall that the machinist saw it as borderline. He had the factory specs. I carefully installed the rings the right side up.
So tonight I took new readings. Left, 158. Right, 157. Squirted oil in the holes, got 195 left, 178 right. Based on a tiny education in these things, I understand that proves that the moderately low compression readings are due to rings, not valves. Why so much better on the left?

If you're still with me, one more question: Due to the loudness of this machine, I'm inclined to run it at really low revs in my urban neighborhood, when I'm cruising at 25 to 40 mph, like around 2500 rpm, unless I'm accelerating, I know what lugging is, and this skirts close, but feels ok. If I need power, I downshift.

One more: The bike feels stable at 55, and a little wobbly at 60. I almost never see bikes this size on the freeway anymore, and wonder if I'm unrealistic to consider riding this thing on the freeway. Few people do, so maybe they know something I don't. There must be something that inevitably draws motorcyclists toward bigger bikes.
Thanks, All!

·
Registered
23 Posts
the first two questions I can't answer, but I can answer the third.

I have no trouble running highway speeds, 50-70, on my 360. I'm around 150 pounds, plus 5-15 pounds of gear depending on the day. It sits at about 5200 rpm when running 60 mph in sixth gear. Is the vibration through the footpegs or through the handlebars?

·
Registered
703 Posts
I had mine up to 83mph 2 days ago. Ever since I added a steering stabilizer it's less scary at those speeds. I didn't wanna push for the ton up. I'd need a big ass hill.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I have a CJ360 and I try to keep mine off the freeway as well.
Right around 60mph the engine starts vibrating like a chainsaw but it smooths out again after 70mph.

If the bike is feeling wobbly (and not just vibrations) I'd get that checked out. Could be you need to have one or both rims trued.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, tested valves while engine was apart by spraying carb cleaner in the intake and exhaust ports, none leaked past the valves, but I lapped 'em anyway.
Got over my apprehension about the freeway: rode last night from Centralia to Olympia, Wa., 70 is fine, now that I'm more used to the bike. What a way to travel!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Can't agree with you more. No better way to get from A to B and better on gas milage than just about any car out there.
That said, I think I still prefer the backroads and highways to the freeway. Especially the way Washingtonians drive. :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts