Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All

Purchased a 1972 CL175 not too long ago. Been enjoying the bike but running into some issues.

Recently discovered the bike was only running on one cylinder. Rather than go through the proper diagnostics, I went ahead and went through with some of the tune up materials I had on hand. Carb rebuild, new coil plugs and leads, new charging system. I went for the coil as the old lead was not connecting well to the right side spark plug cap, which was the cylinder not firing.

Checked timing based on the marks and my bike manual. Have not checked valve adjustments. Purchased replacement points but they were the incorrect ones.

Upon getting things back together today, the bike still feels to only be running on one cylinder. Decent amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust as well.

I'd like to do a compression test, but unfortunately the kick start on the bike is broken (something I've garnered on this board to be common on 175s?). Can it be done with the electric start? Are there other things I've changed that I need to go back and double check? I don't want to pull the engine apart, yet, unless I can diagnose the proper pieces that need to be looked at and fixed.

Thanks

·
Registered
92 Posts
Hey All

Purchased a 1972 CL175 not too long ago. Been enjoying the bike but running into some issues.

Recently discovered the bike was only running on one cylinder. Rather than go through the proper diagnostics, I went ahead and went through with some of the tune up materials I had on hand. Carb rebuild, new coil plugs and leads, new charging system. I went for the coil as the old lead was not connecting well to the right side spark plug cap, which was the cylinder not firing.

Checked timing based on the marks and my bike manual. Have not checked valve adjustments. Purchased replacement points but they were the incorrect ones.

Upon getting things back together today, the bike still feels to only be running on one cylinder. Decent amount of white smoke coming from the exhaust as well.

I'd like to do a compression test, but unfortunately the kick start on the bike is broken (something I've garnered on this board to be common on 175s?). Can it be done with the electric start? Are there other things I've changed that I need to go back and double check? I don't want to pull the engine apart, yet, unless I can diagnose the proper pieces that need to be looked at and fixed.

Thanks
You can do a compression test with electrical start. Remember to hold open throttle and have spark plugs out. I feel for you as I had the same issue and did the exact same thing. I threw parts at it. Since then I tore down the top end twice lol. Pretty much pinpointed my issues to rich mixture right now. I never had white smoke though.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
So is it only running on one cylinder, or just ' feels like its running on one cylinder'?
The two are different.
Flick some water on each header after running the bike till its warm. If it sizzles the headers hot so its running on that side. If both sizzle ithen its running both sides
Why haven't you set the valve clearance?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So is it only running on one cylinder, or just ' feels like its running on one cylinder'?
The two are different.
It was running on one cylinder. After realizing I had incorrectly set the mixture screws (lean), I re-adjusted those. On a slow ride up my street, it ran on one initially, then two, then back to one.

Flick some water on each header after running the bike till its warm. If it sizzles the headers hot so its running on that side. If both sizzle ithen its running both sides
This is a good suggestion, thanks!

Why haven't you set the valve clearance?
I was unable to get the valve covers off. I'll try again with my breaker bar and get those adjusted.

Thanks Simo

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
I'd be worried about running it with those broken bits of kickstart gear floating about in the crankcases.

I found all the fragments of my starter pinion when I stripped the engine. No other damage, but if one of those pieces had found its way into the wrong place ...

DSCF1758.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like a split is inevitable then. I've changed the oil twice now, and have not taken note of any metal pieces. I don't know when in the life of the bike it broke.

Have you fixed yours? I'd like to gather the pieces to do so. Can I buy a replacement of that gear, or will I need to find a pulled apart used engine?

Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The three common kick start issues are
1. The spline on the shaft ( external)
2. The starter gears broken, worn or missing teeth ( internal)
3. If the clutch is badly adjusted you'll slip in gear and have no power and the kick start wont work ( nothing wrong with the kick start)
1. I believe it is all turning together, but I will confirm.
2. I believe to be the issue
3. I'll reconfirm the clutch adjustment, but have not had slipping in gear

·
Premium Member
3,018 Posts
If its 1. Or 2. Any cb,cl 175 or 200 kick-start parts will fit
Yes, I have a CL175 kickstart assembly in my CB200 motor. On that one, a PO had somehow managed to snap off the splined portion of the shaft flush with the outside of the case. Ham footed or what ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts