Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't seem to find it anywhere in the CB/CL200 shop manual Bill has .pdf'ed for everyone.

I did a search of this site, too, but can't find any definitive spec. 350/360/450's all seem to be above 150, nearer 175 psi. Same with the 175cc: ~175 psi.

Anyway, my CB200 has been a real PITB to get running smoothly. All the usual suspects - poor, erratic idle; RPMs want to leap up to 4500 intermittently, or else drop right down to zero, etc.

Finally borrowed a compression tester from a buddy, and with engine fully warmed, compression reads 130 ~ 135 psi on both sides.

Sigh.

I guess I'm looking at a top-end job after all, yes?

So, what all do I want to have on-hand? I guess I'll wait on any piston/ring set until I can mic the bores. Same with valves. Gasket set is probably about all.

Sigh.

Guess it's a good thing it's so blasted HOT around here these days. Too hot & humid to even like riding. Central Florida is kind of the 'reverse' riding season to the rest of the US - come July and August, I'm not adverse at all to pulling the bike off the road for work...

Kirk

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
If you can, do a leakdown test, or bribe someone to do it.
It will tell you exactly what's going on, without even taking it out of the frame.

The CB200 manual doesn't list any values - however the 175 manual I looked at suggests a nominal value of 142 psi, with a cutoff value of 114 psi - I find this puzzling, because the CB200 has a compression ratio of 9.0:1, which is in line with the other twins of the era.
Maybe Steve can comment on this peculiarity??
Personally I find it a little hard to accept - I know my CB200 is up around 170 psi, after rebuild.........

You'll need a gasket kit, of course.
Hard to say what else you'll need until you get things apart.
Maybe you can get away without a bore job and pistons, maybe not.

Incidentally, I had real problems with a sticking spark advancer on mine - caused some of the same things you mentioned. It would get hot, then stick open sometimes, stick closed sometimes. And of course, it gets way too hot to even touch after it's been running. Drove me insane for a while.....

·
Sensei
27,163 Posts
Bill and Kirk,
The 175's had larger carbs than the 200 (and a bigger dome on the pistons) and reportedly out HP'd the 200...(They are both listed as 9.0/1 comp ratios).. I never really noticed a great amount of difference, but never had both at once, and they ARE small displacement engines..... I guess it's a similar circumstance to the difference between a a 450 and a 500T....... Basicly Same engine, only different....LOL.... My notes say rebuild/re-ring at 130 for the 200, 145 for the 175, and both show in my manual as a 170 PSI spec........we all know they both will still run at 120 PSI, just not excessively well.....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts