Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My electrical starter used to work when I first got it, albeit very weak. It eventually got to the point where it just clicked despite having a fully charged fresh battery. I decided to hook it up directly to the battery and it doesn't turn over or anything. I disassembled and cleaned up the brushes and such and still get nothing from it. Is it toast?

·
Registered
Honda CB360 T
2 Posts
My electrical starter used to work when I first got it, albeit very weak. It eventually got to the point where it just clicked despite having a fully charged fresh battery. I decided to hook it up directly to the battery and it doesn't turn over or anything. I disassembled and cleaned up the brushes and such and still get nothing from it. Is it toast?
Hi HughL I'm no expert but I rebuilt mine with a kit I got from Commom Motorcycles, they also have a rebuild video which was really helpful I got it right after watching numerous times ..... good luck

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got it to turn over for a bit but it was very weak and now its stopped altogether again. Might just replace the brushes and see how it goes.

·
Premium Member
1970 Honda SL175
9 Posts
I have rebuilt a lot of smaller motors like the windshield wiper motor on my '62 Triumph TR4. Don't forget to take a clean pencil eraser to clean all the areas where the brushes touch as it can build up grime or almost a haze over it. Make sure your brushes have a good connection!

·
Registered
CB77, 1966
64 Posts
Hi HughL I'm no expert but I rebuilt mine with a kit I got from Commom Motorcycles, they also have a rebuild video which was really helpful I got it right after watching numerous times ..... good luck

I don't think this is likely to be your problem but I noticed that in the otherwise excellent video that he didn't undercut the commutator. This process is often no more than just cleaning the spaces between the copper contacts to keep them insulated from each other. On my CB77 motor a piece of hacksaw blade worked well as a scraper that fit nicely in the spaces. Above all, use it gently so as not to damage the mica insulation in the spaces.

·
Registered
CB77, 1966
64 Posts
I don't see any indication that the continuities of either the field coils or the armature coils have been measured. Open coil circuits or short circuits would certainly lead to the problems you describe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts