Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys have any issues getting a 450 to crank up after it's been sitting for a few weeks? Mine is a stubborn old thing. If it's used a couple of times a week or even every week, it pops straight into life. But after sitting, especially in the winter, it sure takes some time. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Grant

·
Registered
82 Posts
Drain out any gas before you put her away for some time. Gas seems to get sticky after sitting in the same spot for awhile. Also make sure you keep your batery charged. I belive a battery losses about 1% of its charge per day just sitting in your bike not being used. A trickel charger would be perfect hook it up to the bike once a week if youre not going to use her.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wish I could help you Grant but I have a similar situation with my K7. In the morning it takes 10 to 15 kicks to get it started. Then it idles and runs great. I'll ride it to work (13 miles) and when I come out 9 or 10 hours later it always starts first kick. Same routine day in and day out.

Hope someone else can help you!

Mike V.

·
Registered
659 Posts
In my years I've known hard starting to be caused by one of the following:

low battery
old gasoline
dirty carbs
poorly jetted carbs
stuck or otherwise bad rings
low compression

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine had the same problem. If it sat for more than a week it was a real pain to start. A new (and better quality) battery fixed it. Now it never takes more than 4 or 5 kicks, even on cold mornings.

Derek

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I think the battery is most likely - I'll have to sort out a new one

1 - 6 of 6 Posts