Honda Twins banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

i am running a set of yamaha coils on my cb450 and the coils are very warm to the touch when key is turned on? Is it supposed to be that warm the stock coils if i remember never got that warm or maybe i may be running the wrong set of coils?
 

·
Sensei
Joined
·
27,183 Posts
If the points are closed, the coils are drawing current and will heat-up.....While you aren't moving, there is no airflow to cool them.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
66Sprint said:
If the points are closed, the coils are drawing current and will heat-up.....While you aren't moving, there is no airflow to cool them.....
What would happen to the coils if say you leave the ignition on ( with pints touching) for like 12 hours.?
 

·
Sensei
Joined
·
27,183 Posts
They could "cook", but probably you'd only kill the battery....Either way, it's NOT good....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
20 Posts
66Sprint said:
They could "cook", but probably you'd only kill the battery....Either way, it's NOT good....
:shock: Shite.... Wow. :cry: :cry: :cry:
That explains the bulge running around the middle of my new coil and I'm getting weak spark on that side.
boo, hoo, hoo...

Does this qualify my for a Homer?

Cheers,
Red
 

·
Sensei
Joined
·
27,183 Posts
I'll certainly take your "story" into consideration for the next award....... First, we have to see if it qualifys under the guidelines.....

Guidelines -

1) You may only nominate yourself - it's not appropriate to ridicule someone else. This Forum will not tolerate flamage of any type.

2) The event must involve repair, maintenance, or riding of an old Honda.

3) You must include a complete description of your "Dohh !!!" moment, with all the excruciating details.

4) Your blunder must NOT result in any actual harm to yourself, other persons, or pets.
That sort of thing is NOT funny or an excuse for humor. (Bugs and rodents are excluded from this)
The Homer Moment should not cause you any extreme financial hardship - that's not funny either.

5) Events which cause you embarrasment in front of large crowds or (particularly) females will be given special consideration and assigned bonus points.

6) Ignorance is NOT worthy of consideration for this award. You must be fully knowledgeable and aware before the fact of the proper way to do something. The bonehead move must be the result of a Brain Fart, distraction, or similar cause.

7) Winners in multiple months will be awarded Donut Clusters for their original award.


I think #6 would disqualify you, but we'll see what happens....LOL.... :lol: Steve
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
771 Posts
keltic88 said:
66Sprint said:
They could "cook", but probably you'd only kill the battery....Either way, it's NOT good....
:shock: Shite.... Wow. :cry: :cry: :cry:
That explains the bulge running around the middle of my new coil and I'm getting weak spark on that side.
boo, hoo, hoo...

Does this qualify my for a Homer?

Cheers,
Red

Did this very thing to my CB350 a few years back - somehow left the key on overnight. Lights were off. Came out the next morning and noticed an odd, bluish puddle under the bike. Turned out to be melted plastic!? WTH?? Looked up under the tank, and the coil had melted from the inside out - blue plastic dribbled out and down and dripped onto the floor.

So, yep, that's what'll happen. :oops:

Kirk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
wow.. didnt know it could cause that much trouble. i would of thought the battery would die. but i guess ill keep that in mind now, especially since im gonna need to get new coils.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
64 Posts
I have a problem. The same thing just happened to me on my 1968 cb450k1 while I was static timing it. The right coil started sizzling and smoking. I turned off the ignition and aired out the garage, then installed a new set of xs650 coils I had planned on installing in my cb350. I tested both coils and they were working properly. I went back to static timing, but mindful of not leaving the bike on for too long. However, after I was finished, the right coil was very warm and would no longer spark. I thought I had burned out the coil again so I installed another xs650 coil. Still no spark. This seemed to indicate that the coil wasn't at fault, but some other electrical component. To test this theory, I switched the wires from the left coil onto the right coil and it sparked perfectly.

Does anyone have any idea what I could've fried? I don't know enough about electrical components to know what I should be checking. I just know that a coil plugged into the yellow wires will spark, but a coil plugged into the blue ones won't. The yellow and blue wires seem to run simply to the condensor and the points plate, and neither shows any outward damage. Should I replace both?

Thanks for any help.

Rob
 

·
Sensei
Joined
·
27,183 Posts
It IS possible you "burned" the contacts of the points... Try dressing them with a points file
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
45 Posts
Dude, that happened to me not long ago, My points must of gotten stuck or something and I left my bike in the "on" position for one hour not running and the coils litterally melted. I was so pissed, I had what looked like candle wax all over my engine head. I will never make that mistake again. The bike of course wouldn't run after, it costed me a set of new coils :/ I think I actually made a video that day if anyone wants to see it.

[youtube:5vdai5jm]5vqRjLfZkeM[/youtube:5vdai5jm]
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top