Honda Twins banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks pretty good....my coils seem to be working fine...found out the hard way yesterday... :shock: But replacing with a set like you have would decrease my worries about future problems in that area. Great posting.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
one more thing does that guy from Boretech that offers the electronic ignition system still around? I remember on the old site cb450DOHC group he offered a discount for members.....did he come on board with us or just bailed out altogether?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Bill Moeller from BoreTec was not a member of the DOHC as i remember. He was contacted by Polishbeer and a discount deal was made at that time. When I last bought my BoreTec 450 EI last fall, Bill still had a good supply. I will assume the DOHC discount is still active but its best to contact Bill for details from website

http://www.bore-tech.com/Vintage Motorcycle Ignitions.html

As for my BoreTec EI install, I paid $340something without the Dyna coils. I believe this is money well spent! The product and instructions are easy straightforeward. The hardest part is finding a place to locate the blackbox. Its really SLICK that you can test/set the system (with 9v battery) prior to starting the engine. danWI

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Black spark plug wiring is now back in stock!

Funny thing is that I went to a NAPA and an Autozone a couple days ago they thought I was speaking gibberish when I said I just wanted some spark plug wire...

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
krukster86 said:
Black spark plug wiring is now back in stock!

Funny thing is that I went to a NAPA and an Autozone a couple days ago they thought I was speaking gibberish when I said I just wanted some spark plug wire...
You are liable to get anything going to autozone...i keep my purchases to very simple things there .....not that the staff is bad but alot of the employees never worked on anything at all before working there. When i was coming up and you went to a parts store the guy at the counter was dirty half the time from working on something in the back room or out back....lol.

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
Works great on my CB360!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey tbpmusic....you got a pic of where you mounted your condensor? i just did the same mod on my bike and would like to get the best idea for mounting it.(the condensor)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
tbpmusic said:
zx12ryder said:
hey tbpmusic....you got a pic of where you mounted your condensor? i just did the same mod on my bike and would like to get the best idea for mounting it.(the condensor)
I'll post a pic tomorrow, ok??
Just happen to have the tank off, working on the left carb.....
ok cool that would be great

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
I love the idea of grounding the ignition directly to the battery on a freshly powdered frame, makes perfect sense. I was chasing my tail after powdercoating my RD and not getting a good grounding. And I didnt wanna spoil the fresh coat by rubbing a bit off either. Powdercoat is the perfect insulator ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to this whole electrical scene. How do I go about doing this ground wire? Literally, just get a 10 gauge wire and connect it to the negative terminal of the battery and then to the condenser? Where do I connect it to the coils and the other parts? Just on the base or on one of the wires. A comment would be greatly appreciated. I really enjoyed your post and found it very helpful!

Josh

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
If your coils and condensors are still on the stock mount bracket, I imagine a wire from battery (-) to one of the bracket screws would suffice. Did you powdercoat?

·
Registered
175 Posts
The direct ground is a good idea. For an added security factor connect the bike's main hot lead to the battery post rather than to the hot side solenoid post. I have had two (maybe three) of the heavy battery-to-solenoid leads snap off at the right angle bend of the battery end connector, and I replaced one with a connector cannibalized from another 500T which had been made by a previous owner, so he probably had the same problem. With the main power feed connected to the battery, if the solenoid connector fails all you lose is the ability to use the electric starter.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
joshuatyler1 said:
I'm new to this whole electrical scene. How do I go about doing this ground wire? Literally, just get a 10 gauge wire and connect it to the negative terminal of the battery and then to the condenser? Where do I connect it to the coils and the other parts? Just on the base or on one of the wires. !

Josh
Yep. that's about it. Connect to the coils on one of the bolts that pass through the frame.
My frame had been powdercoated, so I knew I couldn't count on normal grounding.

I also ran a ground wire to the handlebar clamp, to make sure the left/right switches worked ok.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just finished this up last week, and the bike is running better than ever. I'll post some pics later. Being a medical student living in an apartment, I don't have an actual garage or many tools or scrap metal. I ended up using an old utah license plate for the new coil mounts. I actually had room for my condenser using the original mount. Thanks a bunch for the help!

Josh

·
Registered
2 Posts
If I want to run a Dyna coil on my CB450, which is the correct model? I believe its DC3-1 (3 ohm). Can anyone confirm?
I am planning on running a Dyna electronic ignition. (not sure if that makes a difference)

Would I need an additional resistor in line to change the resistance so it doesn't overwhelm the charging system? (I've heard that 3 ohm coils may do that)

I appreciate any advice....

example model numbers:
http://www.dynoman.net/ignition/dynacoils.html

·
Registered
357 Posts
Just did the coil replacement as described today, worked great. It took a while, but i put the condenser between the coils. Tight fit, but worth it.
Thanks,
Allen

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Brown Bomber said:
Just did the coil replacement as described today, worked great. It took a while, but i put the condenser between the coils. Tight fit, but worth it.
Thanks,
Allen
Everybody deserves good spark.......

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a 73(title)? cl450 sn 50 series, although I believe it was built in late 71. I was having issues loosing cylinders
Brief history:
I got the bike as a nearly complete project.. PO seemed to have a pretty good handle on it, but I think he lost interest, got discouraged..

I just upgraded per bills spec, fit the condensers (xs650 as well) between the coils, and soldered them in directly. mounted to the aluminum strap the coil is connected to. For bonus points I ran both ground and +12 from the battery switched with a relay. I enjoy near 0 voltage loss loss at the coils now. I have not figured out a mounting solution for the relay as of yet, so its pretty much just jammed between the coils.... this seems to have fixed most of my issues, bike runs much better.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts