Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left the ignition on for about an hour and it must have overheated it has leaked white wax both ends of the left coil. It still works but will it continue to do so.
Anyone had similar experience?

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not wax, but does mean your coil is cooked, better find new ones..............

Thanks for your reply Bill.
Is your opinion based on experience? I ask because it is obviously not cooked in as far as the engine runs well, the coil sparks as well as before and the bike has run about 3 hours so far since it happened. I was hoping someone had experienced a similar situation and could tell me what happened in the long run. Allan

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
I had one like that. I think it's what you would call the "potting". Ran fine and then a wire pulled out. I cut that whole corner back until I had enough internal wire showing and jb welded a nail there so I'd have something to connect the wires back together and ran it like that. I eventually got some dyna coils. My leaking goo wasn't too bad. Hard too say how long it may last. Your bike your call I guess.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
I would be concerned with reliability. You don't want to get stuck out in the outback.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would be concerned with reliability. You don't want to get stuck out in the outback.
I will run it for a while just to see what happens. Can't get stuck I have another pot on the right side! I actually drove 400 miles on one cylinder many years ago, took it easy no problems..... lots of worry, but got home. See ya!

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
Thanks for your reply Bill.
Is your opinion based on experience? I ask because it is obviously not cooked in as far as the engine runs well, the coil sparks as well as before and the bike has run about 3 hours so far since it happened. I was hoping someone had experienced a similar situation and could tell me what happened in the long run. Allan
Yes, based on brutal experience.
The black goo will eventually works its way down inside your plug wires, ruining them.
Coils are notorious for acting up once they get good and hot after running for a while.
In the long run (maybe sooner than that) you can expect total failure once the goo starts flowing...........that stuff is the insulating material used inside the coils, not too sure exactly what it is though.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Public Service Announcement

Yes, based on brutal experience.
The black goo will eventually works its way down inside your plug wires, ruining them.
Coils are notorious for acting up once they get good and hot after running for a while.
In the long run (maybe sooner than that) you can expect total failure once the goo starts flowing...........that stuff is the insulating material used inside the coils, not too sure exactly what it is though.
I would treat is as a hazardous material, unless someone knows what it is. A motorcycle coil is an electrical transformer. According to several websites, the goo is actually an oil used for cooling to internal coil wires. the wires are insulated with lacquer. The oil helps the wire dissipate the heat, and the primary does create a lot of heat. Back in the day it was common to use PCBs in transformers. PCB is a known to cause cancer. I do not know if it is PCB or not.

·
Premium Member
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Left the ignition on for about an hour and it must have overheated it has leaked white wax both ends of the left coil. It still works but will it continue to do so.
Anyone had similar experience?

The leaking coil started to misfire at low speed last ride a check showed weaker spark than the other side. The coil has has now been replaced with another used coil I had on hand and the miss has gone.
It ran with no apparent problems for about 1000 miles after it was left turned on and leaked "wax".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts