Honda Twins banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the shocks and rear wheel off my '83 CM450e and I'm looking to increase the ride height as much as possible in furtherance of my scrambler build (without switching out the spoked 16" rear wheel). What is the tallest shock I can put on it still without hitting the swing arm travel limit? I know a 340mm will fit, anything taller? With consideration to taller shocks, what is the tallest off road tire that will fit on the 16" rim? I know I need to keep it around 120 (maybe 130) to keep from rubbing the chain. I pulled the chain guard off and probably won't be using it.

Thanks in advance!!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Raising either end independently of the other end will change the steering geometry and handling of the bike. I'm going to say that the 340mm rear shocks are about the limit and then you will need to set the chain adjustment looser than normal due to the rear axle droop.
I think you're probably looking for something like the Trailwing tire http://www.chaparral-racing.com/product/bridgestone-tw40-rear-tire/120/90-16- there's a limited offering of dual sport 16" tires

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have a Bridgestone TW40 Trail Wing Dual Sport tire on my CM450E at the moment. They look nice but that's about it. No real off-road capability and it is very soft, which as a result I have to say that it has worn off pretty quickly.

Problem is at 16 inches, it is very hard to find a good off-road tire. I myself am thinking about using an 18 inch wheel but truth be told, I have no idea how to go on about it. Where to find the right spokes ... 18 " rim ... You know.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I have a Bridgestone TW40 Trail Wing Dual Sport tire on my CM450E at the moment. They look nice but that's about it. No real off-road capability and it is very soft, which as a result I have to say that it has worn off pretty quickly.

Problem is at 16 inches, it is very hard to find a good off-road tire. I myself am thinking about using an 18 inch wheel but truth be told, I have no idea how to go on about it. Where to find the right spokes ... 18 " rim ... You know.
The easy fix it to go to a CB400T1 rear wheel. 18" spoked. You will also have to use a narrower tire, 110/90/18 is a maximum size, spec would be a 100/90

·
Registered
37 Posts
The easy fix it to go to a CB400T1 rear wheel. 18" spoked. You will also have to use a narrower tire, 110/90/18 is a maximum size, spec would be a 100/90
I have been looking for one for quite sometime now but no luck so far. I might have to buy a rim and spokes and just make my own.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts