Honda Twins banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

Looking at purchasing new tires for me '82 CM450E. Not to rehash a topic that I've seen in this forum before, but I'm looking for some advice on tires. Wheels are stock (to my knowledge) and currently the bike has Dunlop F11 100/90-18 on the front and Dunlop K127 4.60-16 on the rear; both of which appear to no longer be made. I'm looking for the vintage type of look and have found to IRC GS-11 to be my favorite for both aesthetics and price. I'm an occasional rider at best (5-10 times a summer) and don't ride in inclement weather. IRC makes the GS-11 in both sizes I need, but they are listed as rears. I know the common knowledge is that you shouldn't put rears on the front and vice versa due to the different tasks assigned to each (steering vs propelling) but from the pictures I've seen online I can't spot much of a difference between the two in this model of tire. Have left a message with manufacturer about 3 weeks ago and bikebandit also had no feedback. Has anyone ever put a GS-11 3.5-18 rear on the front of their bike? Any issues with this setup?

Thoughts and feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
342 Posts
You could look at Dunlop K70 tires.
There is no front/rear for K70s but they are tube type.
I just put K70s on my CB400T and they look good.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
As you mentioned, you can put the rear up front, but handling will be... Mediocre on the street and horrendous on the highway.
It's your bike and you can certainly do what you want to satisfy your budget or aesthetic. I rode for several months with a rear mounted up front, and will never do it again. But I also commute M-F, highway, fast lane splitting, rain etc. For a casual 5 miles on the streets, I would probably consider it.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
That's how it is on my Norton Commando, same tire front & rear, from the factory. Dunlop K81, 4.10x19s, handles perfectly. To mount a "rear" tire on the front you need to turn it around so the arrow stamped in the side wall points the other way. That's because of way the belts are wrapped inside the tire carcass, you mount it one way to handle the torque from the drive wheel and the opposite way to resist the torque from the front brake. My Dunlop tires have two sets of arrows, one for rear mounting and the other for front.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Moved to SOHC Tire section
Here's FAQ's from Dunlop https://www.dunlopmotorcycletires.com/about/faq/
There are tires that are designed for front OR rear installation and are marked as such. If they are marked Rear then that's a tire specifically designed to handle the loads of a rear tire. Front marked tires are specifically designed for the loads of a front tire.
Simple question since your life depends on those tires. Is it worth it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Please allow me to be that guy that always pops up in these type of threads.
I have run rear tires on the front on several occasions and never had a problem.
I have a set currently on an NC700X and have done the tail of the dragon and various other twisties.
I have ridden in the rain, in 100 degree temps, in freezing temps, on the highway, on gravel, at 6mph and 100mph and they have exhibited no issues what so ever.
I did mount the tire backwards on the front wheel as it is my opinion that it would be loaded similar under braking and cornering as it would be in the mounted the proper direction in the rear during acceleration.
Beyond that the tire is just spinning and the tire does not care which way it is rotating.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Please allow me to be that guy that always pops up in these type of threads.
I have run rear tires on the front on several occasions and never had a problem.
I have a set currently on an NC700X and have done the tail of the dragon and various other twisties.
I have ridden in the rain, in 100 degree temps, in freezing temps, on the highway, on gravel, at 6mph and 100mph and they have exhibited no issues what so ever.
I did mount the tire backwards on the front wheel as it is my opinion that it would be loaded similar under braking and cornering as it would be in the mounted the proper direction in the rear during acceleration.
Beyond that the tire is just spinning and the tire does not care which way it is rotating.
You did it correctly by reversing the direction of the front tire. The internal construction is 1/2 of the equation for doing so. The other 1/2 is the siping of the tread for water dispersion amongst other things.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts