Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my rims say "Tubeless tire applicable" and I read a bunch about running tube vs. tubeless and decided to go w/o a tube. I ordered tubeless tires in 130/90/16 and 100/90/18. I put the front tire on and the tire is sitting in the rut in the middle of the rim and will not jump up onto the outer rim spots no matter what. Tried to strap it, tried water, soap, air, 3 people. Should I just go with tubes? I mean, what would a tire shop do differently? Am I missing something?

·
Registered
342 Posts
Have you removed the valve core???
Do you have enough air pressure and volume???
Is the tire the correct size??? 60/70 psi should seat that bead.
I am asking because I have never had this problem.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you removed the valve core???
Do you have enough air pressure and volume???
Is the tire the correct size??? 60/70 psi should seat that bead.
I am asking because I have never had this problem.
We tried removing the valve core and put the compressor up to 70. The air is just coming out all around. To me, when I watch all the other videos, etc., there is no "ditch" in the middle of other rims whereas this particular rim has a ditch in the middle. The rims of the tire are sitting down in the middle of this ditch and there is no way to force them to seal on anything at all.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Could this be that you have the wrong size tire??? A 16 inch on a 17 inch wheel???
Grasping at straws..............

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could this be that you have the wrong size tire??? A 16 inch on a 17 inch wheel???
Grasping at straws..............
I know, right? It feels that way, but it's what is recommended for these bikes and it's definitely a 100/90-18. It's a pretty thick pirelli. I'll take it into the shop this week I guess. I've spent a LOT of time on this and should have maybe just paid for it to be done. I'm really interested to see what happens. I know if I put a tube in there it would work, but I don't want to give in... and I don't have any tubes right now. I'm mounting the rear now so I'll see if it's any different.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just mounted the rear tire and the exact same thing, it won't build up any pressure. I guess I'll see what the pros say on Tuesday.Feels like a really big pop of air would do it, some super high pressure. Perhaps that's the problem.

·
Registered
342 Posts
A tire shop will have enough air volume to do the trick.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you have a ratchet strap run it around the tire and tighten it down, this will force the tire out to the bead, as soon as it starts to inflate take the strap off. Or lay the wheel on a 5gal bucket push down on the tire stretch a bicycle inner tube around the rim it fills the gap between the tire and rim inflate the tube(pull the stem up to clear the rim) air up your tire pull tube out as it inflates.It sound like your tires have been stacked flat for a good while. BeadSetR cropped 2.jpg

Reactions: J-T

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried a makeshift strap but it didn't press the tire all the way out. The tires were delivered in great shape, not flat at all so I don't think that's the issue. The bicycle inner tube trick sounds interesting though. I saw a tool like that on YouTube. I may give that a try.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Perhaps this is frowned upon, but you can try the starter fluid method. The internet is full of dudes doing it. Use lots of soapy water all on the rim and tire to seal it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Perhaps this is frowned upon, but you can try the starter fluid method. The internet is full of dudes doing it. Use lots of soapy water all on the rim and tire to seal it.
Yeah... Uh... I am tempted. My wife gave me a big frown when she saw me watching those videos. Caught! Going to try bigger air tomorrow. The only urgency is to mend my pride at this point.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you're using straight air, are you also using soapy water or a paste to seal air leaks?
Yeah, used windex a bit. Tried dish soap. I still think those comstar rims are weirdly shaped. Tires can't seal on the rim due to groove in the middle. Not sure. I'll definitely report back when I figure something out.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Today's update: Took them down to the local tire guys and they were able to get them to inflate but they weren't willing to inflate over 50psi to get the bead to set. The rear has one spot and the front has one spot that won't come up. So, that's progress. We did need more air to get them inflated, that was actually pretty easy.

·
Registered
475 Posts
dead blow hammer the spots that need to seat (just the tire sidewall)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I left them with the shop and he left them out in the sun and then deflated completely and put some soap on them and reinflated them and he said they seated at about 35psi. Wow, what an ordeal!!! So I saved 50 bucks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Probably because they never heard it. I'm an old guy and I learned it from old guys when I was a kid, now if it was a split ring truck rim now that would be dangerous!
Glad your back on the road

Reactions: Gobo
1 - 20 of 20 Posts