Honda Twins banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
You need to clean the area thoroughly then run it to positively identify the source of the leak. It can be helpful to spray it with baby powder or the like as that will show the wet spot quicker.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup that's what I did last night was clean the crap out of it I'm going to be doing some more cleaning to it this weekend. But just so I know for the future when I order parts what is that bottom part of the engine called.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
There's the lower engine case, bottom halve of the case. Oil cooler, oil pressure sender switch, switch shield. There is an oval O-ring that's divided in half by a section, sort of resembles a squared off figure 8, that seals the oil cooler to the lower engine case. That's a rare item to find, Honda quit supplying those years ago.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok well I'm pretty sure it is just the gasket to the oil filter. atleast that is what I'm guessing. after cleaning the **** out if it. that is where I found oil this morning.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
A lot of the oil filters sold don't come with a new O-ring gasket so people reuse the one that's there. There's also an O-ring on the filter bolt that should be changed.
In some cases the cover has warped over time and even with new O-rings they still seep or leak, in that case you would put the cover on a piece of sand paper that's on a flat surface and using a figure 8 pattern sand it to remove some material. Visually check that the O-ring stands above the cover to gauge when it's done.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
I got my last batch from 4 into 1. Emgo with the orings. Good prices and good service, IMHO.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I got a whole kit on ebay for like $40 with everything: oil, filter, and 3 gaskets. I know the little o-ring looking one is for the filter bolt and the kind round kinda square one goes to the "oil filter pan" but what does the large o-ring that is about the size of the one for the "oil filter pan" go to.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The large round oring is not used. $40 is a little much, I would think. $4 filter, (3 X $6) $18 for oil, all told comes to $22. What else did you get for $40 ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ummm maybe it was 38 but yeah that is what I got 3 gaskets 3ltr of oil and oil filter. all honda parts so that might be why it was more expensive

1 - 14 of 14 Posts