Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I recently purchased a 1983 Honda cm450a with 11k miles and have been scrounging the internets for an airfilter, manuals and had little luck before finding this forum. The bike in question looks like it was decently maintained, and fires up instantly and idles no problem (slight intermittent hiccup or stutter). As soon as you apply any throttle or remove choke the bike burbles and dies. Fires right back up but haven't been able to quite diagnose what the issue is. I did find a ton of oil in the separator and drain lines. And when i ran the bike with no air filter it didn't seem to make much difference, but I saw vapor/oil coming from the carbs when i revved it and it burbled. If anyone has seen this before or has any ideas please let me know! Or even links for the service or owners manual. Thank you for reading

·
Registered
154 Posts
Since you already have no air filter attached, it might be a good idea to pull out the carbs and see how they look inside. I'm not an expert but they are sensitive and it sounds like they could use a thorough cleaning.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If runs ok with the choke on, means carbs need to be clean. Choke limits the air in to allow more fuel to warm up. Jets are probably plugged.

·
Registered
38 Posts
If you are going to clean the carbs, while you are it make sure the floats don't have a leak. My carb floats leaked and caused a bunch of headaches until I figured it out. A good way to check for leaks if the carbs have been dry for a while is to put the floats in boiling water, the internal air will expand causing bubbles where the leak is.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts