Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

First post here so apologies if this is the wrong section to post this question...

I just brought home a 1983 CM450A that is missing the keys. I've read that the key code is stamped on the helmet lock, which this bike has, but I can't seem to find where on the lock the code is located.

Can anyone tell me where I should be looking on the lock for the code, or better yet, got a picture that shows where it is located? Also are there any tells to look for that'll show me whether or not the lock is original or a reproduction?

Alternately, what is the easiest way to get at the ignition lock to get the key code from there? Ideally I'd like to remove as little as possible to keep thins simple rather than just go at it with a socket set...

Thanks in advance!
-Joe

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Not sure but I don't think the code is stamped on the helmet lock. It's stamped on the ignition switch and the other locks match up.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
The "rivet' holding it on is really a bolt that will come free with vise grips. Take the helmet lock off the bike and the code is stamped on the mating face.

Reactions: J-T and bilbikek411

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
2 bolts and drop the headlight, 2 more bolts and the ignition switch is out. Key number is on one of the mounting tabs

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, I didn't realize anyone replied to this until today... sorry for not getting back, gotta check my notification settings.

For what its worth the key code was stamped right on the underside of the helmet lock. I removed it by using a pry bar to bend the bracket it was mounted to far away enough from the frame to give me access to the two screws holding it on. From there it was 10 seconds to unscrew it and see the key code. A locksmith cut me a new set of keys based on that code and they work flawlessly on all 3 locks on the bike.

I was a little hesitant to bend the mounting bracket and intentionally (possibly) break something on the bike like that but it didn't have to move too far and I'm going to relocate the helmet lock anyway. Right now it is situated right above the after market 2 into 1 exhaust which would probably ruin my helmet. I'm going to rig it back up either somewhere on the handle bars or switch sides and mount it to the luggage rack on the back.

Thanks for the help!
-Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts