Honda Twins banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody,

I have a 1983 Honda cm450 hondamatic that I'm currently working on and I was wondering if anyone has ever converted their standard Honda shifter to a jockey shifter? I'm very interested in converting to a jockey shift, but am having trouble finding projects explaining how to do so and what Id need to do. Only thing I've found is that it's possible and should be 'a no brainer'. Appreciate any and all help.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I did this for a trike Honda ATC that I made into a Burning Man vehicle. I can tell you that if you go with putting on a really long shift lever, you'll likely bend a shift fork in the tranny. Too much leverage, unless you're really gentle with the engagement. Depending on your fabrication skills you can make a linkage arm set up; think of how rear-sets or drum brake linkages work, and just plan a longer connecting rod.

You won't find a how-to guide for something this esoteric, and I didn't take any pics of mine before giving the trike away. But it involved no machine shop work, very little money, and very basic welding. Have a look at how the above examples work (only two moving parts at its most basic) and pic a spot on your bike for the pivot.

Before you do anything, head to the new members introduction for this site and say hello formally. We are friendly here, and full of advice!

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Basically it's repositioning the shifter lever after extending it. The shaft and shift lever are splined so there's multiple positions it can be placed at.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts