Honda Twins banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I am a new member but have been reading the info for a while. I recently acquired a 1980 cm400t with 6000 miles. Some rust from setting in a damp garage but overall not to bad. The bike needed the carbs cleaned and jets and o rings replaced. It runs well with no unusual noise. My only concern is while coming off the accelerator there seems like a lot of backlash. With the bike on full stand and the engine off there is backlash equal to the length of a chain link while in gear. All gears about the same. This may or my not be an issue but it does appear to be excessive. All fluids changed and likewise filters. Any opinions? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You'll need a proper Factory Service Manual. PM sent.
Might need a new chain.
Dan and Jim will be along shortly with information.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think my description of what is taking place perhaps is a bit misleading. With my chain off I can rotate the drive sprocket clockwise and counterclockwise (with the bike in gear) about one tooth. I am not sure if this is normal or not?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
There is some play in the front sprocket to shaft normally but not much, I would remove it to inspect the output splines on the shaft and also the splines of the sprocket. If you're talking about the shaft movement internally with the gears then that's pretty normal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts