Honda Twins banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I've previously posted about all the engine work to reassemble what I bought for my CM400T project - I received some great advice and I thank all of the elites out there who assisted me with that!

I've now managed to get the engine mounted to the frame with a lot of assistance from my wife and kid (couldn't have done it without them!), and she's sitting all pretty waiting for me to sink my creativity into her.

ready.jpg

As has been suggested to me in my introductory posts, I'm going to get this bike working in its stock form before approaching any significant modifications, which is great advice. First we crawl, then we walk. :)

I've run across two surprises already since the engine has been installed. Firstly, the shift pedal is bent something fierce! I'll need to put it in a vise and get it straightened out. The post for the shift lever also pinches pretty hard against the left crankcase cover, as it must have been bent in a drop. I've tried a few different ways to straighten it out, but am now considering just drilling the hole in the crankcase cover bigger, as if I continue bending this shaft I'm just going to ruin it, and then have to disassemble everything I've worked on to replace the entire shaft component (no thanks).

Secondly, I've found not one, but two cables running from my handle throttle assembly, yet there seems to be only one cable keeper where the throttle cables run to the carburetor. I'm scratching my head on this one - the only thing I can think of is that I have some mismatched components on this bike. Has anybody run across this issue before? All I can find is what appears to be a keeper for the throttle, which hold the cable in place with the threads on the cable end itself, and another pinch keeper that I can only assume is for the choke cable.

I've taken a picture of one of the keepers (my apologies for the bad angle, it's a little tight under there).

IMG_20180318_174518.jpg

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Your throttle has 2 cables, one "pull" which opens the throttle and one "push" or "return" which closes the throttle. The choke has a separate cable. I suspect you are in need of an authentic Honda factory service manual. PM sent.

While I think your plan to drill out the hole for the shift shaft would work, I believe others here will be able to provide you with better ideas.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I'm really confused by that picture, it looks like your carbs are upside down?

This is the picture I took so I'd remember how to put the choke cable on, you can kind of see how the two throttle cables are in there in the background. As far as I know one cable end has two nuts for adjustment and the corresponding bracket has space for that, the other only has one and the bracket one. The picture is taken looking at the carbs while standing on the left side of the bike.
Also on a cb400t so it might be a little different for the cm400
IMG_6806.JPG

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Hoffman.....You have your carbs installed upside down.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
This whole forum is based on "learning experiences". Now when someone in the future has the same problem with the cables and searches the forum they will see this thread and know the answer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Ain't that the truth, Jim. I took my front fender off not knowing it was a structural piece to the steering; this forum saved me from what could've been a nasty fall.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys,
Today I disassembled my headlight as something seemed quite loose. What I found out was there aren't any clips installed so I'm going to need to MacGyver some up. Does anybody have a picture of what the clips that go in these slots look like so I can bend some stiff metal to do the same job?
clip.jpg

·
Registered
9,797 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Those look really cool and the price is definitely right. This morning before reading this I took after the enclosure with some chunks of coathanger and have it assembled nice and tight. :)

Thanks though if these start giving me grief I'll just order a set of those!

lite.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I've purchased a carburetor rebuild kit and have been trying to sort out what parts go where. I have a definite surplus of o-rings that I have no idea where they belong. Wondering if anybody can make heads or tails of this - are these additional parts for other models?

IMG_5013.jpg

I also opened the cover for the air cutoff valve, and found it full of disgusting gunk which I cleaned up, however now my valve looks like a screen so I may have got carried away. The replacement air cutoff valves I see online seem to be a rubber boot, and mine has been reduced to a screen. I'm not at all familiar with the operation of an air cutoff valve - is this supposed to create a vacuum and needs to be rubber? If so I'm guessing I either need to buy replacement valves or rebuild these ones with some liquid latex rubber that I have here. Thoughts anyone?
Engine.jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've since figured out where those brass sleeves go and have them in. The o-rings I'm almost thinking are to replace the fiber ones for the butterfly valves, but the fiber is in good enough shape that I'm leaving as-is. The biggest head scratcher left is the smallest o-rings and the washers that come with them.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The biggest head scratcher left is the smallest o-rings and the washers that come with them.
Those are for the mixture screws. Assembly order on the screw is spring, washer, O-ring. Be sure that the old O-ring is not still in the mixture screw bore.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Jim!
I'm also running into a little confusion with reassembling the two carburetors. There's one junction with a spring between the two sections, and an adjustment screw is in there, but I'm having trouble figuring out the orientation, and what the screw is supposed to be pressing down on. IMG_5014.JPG

Here is a close-up of the base of the screw.
Carburetor 002.JPG

·
Registered
805 Posts
The bottom round bit is supposed to go under the u shaped bracket thing (the opposite side of where it currently is). Turning the screw out as far as it can go makes it easier. Also installing the spring last works well (it is surprisingly easy)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The bottom round bit is supposed to go under the u shaped bracket thing (the opposite side of where it currently is), the two washers stay above it. Turning the screw out as far as it can go makes it easier. Also installing the spring last works well (it is surprisingly easy)
Ok great thanks! I think I finally have it together.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
The bottom round bit is supposed to go under the u shaped bracket thing (the opposite side of where it currently is), the two washers stay above it. Turning the screw out as far as it can go makes it easier. Also installing the spring last works well (it is surprisingly easy)
No, the washers are supposed to be on either side of the aluminum bracket not both on top or bottom.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK I fixed that this morning. Was surprisingly easy.

I am a little concerned about a spring that came unwound by the choke assembly. I've started tightening it one wrap at a time but I'm not sure if I'm gaining or losing elasticity for this one. Anybody have experience with this?

Carb 003.jpg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts