Honda Twins banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

So i recently bought my first bike, its a 1981 Honda CM400T, also i'm not very mechanical experienced so sort of a learning experience. The bike has lots of issues that i'm working through and have had it running at times but never for very long but i'm fixing that currently.

But what i need help with is the suspension, it nearly bottoms out, gets about 3-4 inches from the bottom. At the top off one of the forks is a cap and underneath there is sort of a air valve (like on a tire), do i simply pump air into here to harden the suspension? or am i to do something else?

P.S. this valve has a connecting line to the other fork. And from what i can tell the suspension isn't leaking anywhere

Thanks

·
Registered
399 Posts
This style fork has an air reservoir. You can put in up to 14psi of air for a stiffer ride. No more (spec is 11 +/- 3psi)
You'll need a proper factory service manual. PM sent.

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great to see another 400 series here. Got any pics of it?

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Moved to SOHC Suspension section
Current problem sounds like a) fork oil needs to be changed and b) air needs to be added to the forks. You do need the FSM, factory service manual, and here's a check list of things to look at http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/67...n/16105-basic-checklist-new-you-old-bike.html.
PM sent.
Fork oil? use 10W fork oil. Air pressure. Maximum pressure is 14psi, more than that can destroy the seals.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the help, that FSM is a huge help!!!
This my bike so far! enjoying working on it and learning!
My CM400T.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts