Honda Twins banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
While driving my 1981 CM400T today, the engine stalled, and everything eletrical went dead. At first I thought that i ran out of fuel. But there was som gas left.
When turning the ignition key, nothing happened. I checked the battery, and it delivered 12v, so i'm pretty sure thats not the problem either.
My question: could it be the volt regulator? Or maybe something else? How should I proceed searching for the problem?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
sounds like you blew a fuse to me. Although 12V isn't good for a battery either. You should reading at the very least 12.5V

·
Registered
625 Posts
^Agreed, there isn't really much of a reason for full electrical failure like that other than a blown fuse. I could be wrong but something similar happened to a friend of mine and it was a fuse.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Either your top fuse (15A) blew, or you lost a connection at the ignition switch would be my guesses.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I blew the main fuse when my turn signal regulator shorted out on the frame. Was running great, put on the turn signals...bam, dead. That's the first thing I'd look at.

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
Your 400 has 2 separate electrical systems, 1 for the ignition, the other for the rest of the electrical. The one common part is the ignition switch which may have failed to what is basically the "off" position.

Do you have a test light?

BTW welcome to the group.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts