Honda Twins banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the mounts of a plastic side panel of my CM400T is broken.
Anyone familiar with this and how can I fix it?

20171206_144015.jpg

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hi yes I am, super glue works great for a clean brake,also J B weld is good to reinforce it.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Drill the base and post so JB Weld will flow thru those, use the steel type not the plastic type. Use plenty of it and let it dry for as long as possible over a day. I last repaired one of mine in 2014 and it's still holding good.
Use some silicone grease on all the rubbers so the posts can slide in and out without snapping off.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Most side covers are made from ABS plastic. ABS can be melted/bonded using acetone. Dissolve some spare ABS (old Legos, keyboard keys, etc) in acetone to make a glue/slurry and you can add reinforcements around your bonded pieces. Lots of vidoes on YouTube.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
If you choose to go with cyanoacrylate adhesives, try the baking soda trick. Once you've got the pieces glued up and are holding them securely, have a helper throw a pinch of baking soda on the exposed glue, the glue will instantly and completely solidify.

·
Registered
13,085 Posts
My Dad bought a plastic welder and repaired many cracked sidecovers and outboard motor hoods with it, but there's a learning curve. Never heard of the baking soda trick, or the acetone/plastic slurry method either... good stuff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts