Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve got the opportunity to pick up a 1981 CM400T with 3k miles on it. Bike is complete by hasn’t been run in years. The 200 Twinstar I recently picked up has been a good experience. Is there enough commonality between the two to assume a similar experience? Only risking $350 and 4 hours driving.

8A1BE1DF-65B3-40A8-8E85-7EB741E5DF30.jpg

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Take J-T's advice. I second his vote. Grab it !!!

·
Registered
475 Posts
If I lived closer I would.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I would grab it as well at that price! Lots of help over here too, but I would check compression and plugs to get an idea of the engine. Should be fine at that mileage, but never know

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Just returned from Quincy, IL with my new purchase. Bike is totally stock and complete down to the tool kit. Fair bit of surface rust on fenders, grab rail, and other chrome. Pipes aren’t too bad. Half a tank of skunked gas, but tank appears solid. Clutch won’t disengage and front master cylinder will need to be rebuilt. Still, with the overall condition and price, I feel good about the purchase. I’ll start tomorrow with pulling the tank and carbs to begin the cleaning process. I’ll run the carbs through my Harbor Freight ultrasonic cleaner but am open to suggestions for cleaning the tank. Also hoping to pick up a battery to see what powers up and turns over. Any suggestions on the “stuck” clutch? Anyone have a link to a 1981 CM400T FSM?
364B546D-7718-4AD9-99D2-8AA5006F5620.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,203 Posts
PM sent.

If a stuck clutch cable isn't causing the problem, you'll likely want to remove the right side engine cover, then remove and disassemble the clutch to free it up. Others have had success by putting the bike in gear and pushing it. They'll be along with advice also.

Congratulations on a great acquisition.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I used Metal Rescue for the tank myself and likely a stuck cable. Easy to check, disconnect the cable at the clutch lever and try to move the handle lever.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts