Honda Twins banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening Folks,

Sooooo a problem has come to my bike (and another re-occuring problem) and I don't know why it's doing this.

SO what happened was one night I was riding out and then I didn't check the chain slack in the bike. So the chain almost hopped right off the front sproket and bucked me off the bike. I was able to go to the gas station and get a tow home. Now the thing was I thought the bike was going to lean the on kick stand but a little divet in the ground make the bike fall to the right...while running. I went over to hit the kill switch but the motor cut out just as I was hitting the kill.

A month later i finally got off my butt and order a new chain (530-106 minus 2 links) and front drive sproket (17T) I wanted to drop the RPM levels while crusing and it did nicelly.

Now the problem when I was riding around it was alright to start, idle and cruise for a few minutes. Now after this I tried to punch it a little to merge into traffic normally but instead it bogged down at 5000 rpm (it only did this a few times in all gears) I rode the bike some more and it vanished....I'm not sure why....but then came back again. Does this sound like a carb needs cleaning agian? After problems vanished I rode around for an hour and these problems didn't come back till the bike cooled down a bit after I got more shell gas.

Second problem was, as I was riding the ignition system for the bike would cut in and out. The only reason why my bike kepted going was because I was traveling 60 km/hr and it basically "bump" started my bike constantly to keep going. It ended up just straight up dying and not being able to restart. I pulled off to the side of the road and tried to re-start the bike, but the start button wouldn't work. I had to wait a few minutes and then the start button would crank the engine.

If anyone has any ideas on this that would be awesome because as I search around I haven't found things related to the eletrical, I've seem people say clean the cabs for the boggin issue. The carb has new cars, needles and but the accelerator pump is old and few other parts. Air filter is new, chain, plugs new, done the GM Coil swap.

Thanks for the help everyone.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is where you start http://www.hondatwins.net/forums/64...400-450-cb450sc-manual-trans-1978-1986-a.html
This is an elimination process, making sure everything other than the CDI is good before replacing it. If everything is good then the CDI is the failure.
Thanks for the link I wonder why I didn't see that last night when I was posting. Would you have an idea on why the start button wouldn't work when the bike is hot? It only works when the bike cools down for a few minutes or cold.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
There are 2 safety switches. The neutral switch on top of the case which allows starter function if the transmission is in neutral. If the transmission is in gear there is a clutch switch that allows starter function when the clutch lever is pulled. Loose connections on those possibly. If your neutral light doesn't come on when hot the switch is failing.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are 2 safety switches. The neutral switch on top of the case which allows starter function if the transmission is in neutral. If the transmission is in gear there is a clutch switch that allows starter function when the clutch lever is pulled. Loose connections on those possibly. If your neutral light doesn't come on when hot the switch is failing.
Thanks for always providing info its really helpful and appreciated. Hmmmmm I can start my bike in gear so it but it also shows when I'm in neutral.

Time to go through this wire harness again, this problem was reoccurring but the ignition cutting out is new. I'll do those tests when I get home.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pinkngreen wire-97
White blue - 85
Brown light blue 256

Everything else checks out normal. This cutting out only happen this time....

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pinkngreen wire-97
White blue - 85
Brown light blue 256

So I put everything back together, and she fires up in less than a second. I'll take her out for another ride tomorrow to the neighborhood and see if she does the same thing.

The bogging issue at 5000 RPM I'm not really sure though. Maybe I'll run some carb cleaner additive through her and it'll be okay.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Pinkngreen wire-97
White blue - 85
Brown light blue 256

This says the stator is bad, recheck the readings with a second VOM if you can or put a new battery in yours just to be sure.
The Pink/Green is the advancer pulsar so you're not getting ignition timing advance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts