Honda Twins banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when I'm riding my bike I noticed that once its warmed up I start to have a hard time getting
it to shift into first gear. I thought no problem I'll just adjust the clutch cable. I found that it
couldn't be adjusted out anymore, so I got a new cable. I have the same situation, when the bike
warms up it just starts shifting really bad.. I just wanted to get a second opinion, I'm pretty
sure the problem is due to worn clutch springs. any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
What angle is your actuator arm on the right case cover?

It should look like this.........

20160505_111112.jpg

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Most likely you need a new actuator lever/shaft. It's #6 in this fiche. Google the part number for better pricing. There is a 'ramp' edge where the clutch lifter (#8) sits on. When this edge gets worn, the lever has to move farther to contact. It could also be your clutch plates worn below spec. I would check the actuator first. Call these people to make sure they have it. https://www.lawnmowerpros.com/detail.asp?id=22810-443-790 They list a good price for it.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Clutch springs set the amount of pressure on the friction discs, little if any effect on the adjustment. If the frictions and/or the steels are worn that will affect the adjustment however the steels seem to last forever. This does sound like the actuator lever ramp is worn and the lever will need replacement

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't call them I just ordered the part, hope it works. I would like a new one, I don't want to take a chance on a used one. not yet at least,
you never know some parts are hard to find.. I was digging through some posts last night, and was getting the fact that my idea of springs was wrong.
I had the Clutch apart to clean it when I got the bike; it was oil locked. The steels, and clutch plates looked fine.
Thanks for everything guys, I'll keep It up to date when I get the part and put it in..

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
I can sell you that part off a parts bike.

I also might have those starter bits you're looking for.
I don't need a lever, doode, but starter parts such as the stud and insulator as well as the long bolts from end to end. LMK. Not in any rush though.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I finally got a used clutch arm and piston. I took the clutch cover off getting ready to change the part and there really isn't any ware on the actuator..
This leads me to believe that the clutch plates need to be changed.. My question. Should I change the the metal plates, and the friction plates together, or
would it be ok to just do the friction plates.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Thicker clutch plates will make the condition worse, i.e. it will move the clutch center in away from the release lever. You need to increase the height of the release thrust bearing in the clutch center or make the part in the center of it a little bit longer. You could try some thin washers under the four corners of the clutch center or shim the bearing to sit a little higher in the clutch center.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, but why is the lever not working? ether I put something together wrong or a part is worn out right?

·
Registered
9,797 Posts
Measure your plates. The thickness tolerances are in the manual.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts